Buffalo Cauliflower Wings with Cashew Ranch Sauce
Spicy, crispy, vegan buffalo cauliflower wings are paired with a cool and creamy cashew ranch dip! It's a simple appetizer or snack perfect for game day!
- ½ cup soaked cashews
- ½ cup water
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- salt to taste
- ¼ cup fresh parsley
Preheat oven to 375°F. ** Note - depending on your oven, you might need a hotter temperature to get a good roast on the cauliflower. I've tried this at 375, 400 and 450 degrees and they all work - you just have to adjust the baking time accordingly! **
In a small bowl whisk together the crushed chilli, olive oil, lemon juice, all the spices and salt. Whisk well to combine. Pour the hot sauce mixture over the cauliflower florets and toss well to coat.
Spread the cauliflower in a single layer over a lined baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes, gently tossing the cauliflower approximately halfway through cooking. Cook until the cauliflower is tender, slightly crispy, and browned around the edges.
For the ranch sauce, blend the sauce ingredients until the mixture is creamy and smooth.
Serve the buffalo cauliflower with the ranch sauce on the side, with chopped parsley on the top (optional)
Recipe Variations and Substitutions
Top Tips for Making Vegan Buffalo Wings
- Add more spice: If you like your wings spicy increase the amount of crushed chili peppers.
- Make it smoky: If you like a smoky undertone, add a 1/2 tsp of liquid smoke.
- Add breading: These vegan buffalo wings are already gluten-free, so if you want to keep them gluten-free I recommend using almond flour or a gluten free flour for your breading mixture. Combine the gluten free flour and water in equal parts (3/4 cup + 3/4 cup) with all of the spices in this recipe, and coat your cauliflower florets in that mixture before baking in the oven.
- Change up your buffalo sauce: This recipe recreates the flavors of buffalo sauce using spices and olive oil. However, you could use your favorite vegan buffalo sauce in place of the spices and oil.
- Line your baking sheet with aluminum foil. This will help keep the cauliflower from sticking, and make for easier clean-up.
- Be sure to evenly coat the cauliflower on all sides before baking.
- Toss the cauliflower half-way through the baking process to make sure it gets crispy on all sides.
- Soak cashews in water overnight. Drain the water, and then blend. This will result in a creamy texture.
- If you want truly crispy buffalo cauliflower, serve the ranch sauce on the side instead of coating the cauliflower in it before serving.
Calories: 131.3kcal | Carbohydrates: 7.5g | Protein: 3.3g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 185mg | Potassium: 318.2mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 2.5g