Dark, rich, creamy vegan nutella is made with raw hazelnuts, dark chocolate, and naturally sweetened with maple syrup. It is a decadent chocolate hazelnut spread for dipping fruit, or slathering over pancakes, toast, and more!
- 2⅔ cups unsalted raw hazelnuts
- ⅔ cup 70% dark chocolate
- 1 tbsp coconut oil use up to 2 tbsp for even more richness
- 2 tbsp maple syrup use up to 4 tbsp if you want it to be sweeter
- ½ cup almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 date optional
Heat your oven to 350°F.
Spread the hazelnuts on a baking sheet, and roast for 15 minutes.
Remove from the oven, and place into a food processor or high-speed blender. Blitz for a few minutes, until you have a thick and creamy nut butter. (You'll probably need to stop and scrape down the sides of the container a few times.)
While the nuts are processing, break the chocolate into small pieces and melt with the coconut oil (can be done in the microwave or on the stovetop).
Once the nut butter is ready, add the melted chocolate and coconut oil, maple syrup, almond milk, vanilla extract, and salt. If using a date (for more sweetness), add at this time. Blitz for another couple of minutes, until everything is completely mixed together and smooth.
Transfer to an airtight jar, and store at room temperature or in the fridge for a thicker texture. It will keep for a month.
Top Tips for Making Vegan Nutella
Nutritional info calculated using 88% dark chocolate and 1 date.
- Use raw unsalted hazelnuts for the best flavor and health benefits.
- Use at least 70% dark chocolate to achieve a rich chocolatey flavor.
- Be sure to allow the hazelnuts to process until they create a nut butter. This will ensure you have a creamy texture.
- Don't skip the coconut oil. The coconut oil helps to give this healthy nutella a luscious texture that isn't grainy.
- For a thinner consistency store at room temperature. For a thick consistency, refrigerate.
- Try adding a dash of instant coffee to the recipe to enhance the chocolate flavor even more.
Calories: 187kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 78mg | Potassium: 166mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3.5g