Strawberry Simple Syrup
Fresh strawberries, sugar and lemon combine to create this homemade strawberry simple syrup. It's a perfect addition to cocktails, mocktails or even just a homemade strawberry soda - great for both kids and adults!
Servings: 32 tablespoons
Wash strawberries. Remove tops and slice into small pieces.
In a medium saucepan, dissolve sugar with 1 cup / 240ml water over medium low heat, swirling occasionally.
Add strawberries and lemon juice. Cook at a simmer for about 10 minutes until strawberries are mostly disintegrated.
Allow to sit for 30 minutes. Strain through a mesh sieve. Store in glass jar or bottle in the fridge until cold.
To serve, mix about 1-2 tbsp syrup with about 8 fl oz/140ml sparkling water (or lime/lemon flavored sparkling water)
Uses And Variations
While my go-to use for this simple syrup recipe is to add it to sparkling water, I have used strawberry simple syrup in a bunch of different ways! Here are some of my favorites:
- Hot processing (heating the sugar + water together on the stovetop) is the preferred method of making simple syrup, because it helps the syrup to last longer.
- Make sure your water doesn't boil because then some of it will evaporate, changing the sugar-to-water ratio.
- For a thicker, heavier syrup, you can use a 2:1 sugar-to-water ratio
- Make sure you let the syrup cool completely before transferring it to a glass container for storage.
- This syrup can be used in cocktails and other drinks in a 1:1 replacement for soda syrup.
- Syrup stores for up to 2-3 weeks in the fridge.
- This syrup may not freeze completely because of the sugar content, so I recommend storing it the fridge and using it while it's still fresh.
- If the syrup becomes cloudy or moldy, it has gone bad (and in that case, throw it out!)
- Add it to lemonade or iced tea (1 tbsp per 8oz)
- Drizzle it over ice cream
- Add it to whipped cream!
- Add it to a smoothie
- Mix it into cocktails or mocktails
- Use it instead of maple syrup as a topping for pancakes or french toast
Serving: 1tablespoon | Calories: 26.5kcal | Carbohydrates: 6.9g | Protein: 0.1g | Potassium: 14.9mg | Fiber: 0.2g | Sugar: 6.7g