Mushroom Flatbread Pizza Recipe
A crispy whole wheat crust is topped with melty mozzarella and fresh pesto to create this mushroom flatbread pizza that makes for a family friendly meal any day of the week! It's a truly authentic artisan flatbread pizza, that rivals anything you'd order in a restaurant!
For the dough
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp dry yeast
- ½ cup water warm
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
For the Toppings
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 1 tomato diced
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups mushrooms cut into big pieces
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp pesto
- black pepper or crushed red pepper to taste
Prepare the dough: In a bowl combine whole wheat flour with dry yeast and salt. Add water and 2 tbsp olive oil and mix until you have a sticky dough.
Continue mixing for 4 more minutes and until you have a soft, elastic dough. Cover and let it rise for 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Flour a baking pan and set aside. With the help of a rolling pin, roll the dough. Transfer to the prepared baking pan.
Top the flatbread with tomato sauce and diced tomatoes. Then top with mozzarella cheese and mushrooms. Drizzle with 1 tsp olive oil.
Put the flatbread in the oven and bake for 15 minutes or until the borders are golden brown and the cheese is fully melted.
Remove from oven and top with pesto, fresh basil, and black pepper or crushed red pepper to taste. Cut into 8 slices.
Top Tips for Making the Best Mushroom Flatbread
- Be sure to give the pizza dough enough time to rise.
- Cover dough with a damp towel.
- Dough will double in size when it's ready.
- If you want to save time use a store bought pizza dough. I suggest Trader Joe's or Whole Foods' fresh whole wheat pizza dough.
- If there's someone in your family that's not a fan of mushrooms, choose other healthy veggie toppings such as spinach, zucchini, broccoli, squash, tomatoes, or anything else you have in the fridge.
- Make sure your oven is preheated before putting the pizza in the oven.
- Feel free to change up the cheese on this pizza: parmesan, an Italian shredded cheese blend, or even goat cheese would all work well.
Serving: 2slices | Calories: 347.2kcal | Carbohydrates: 38.8g | Protein: 16.4g | Fat: 16.1g | Saturated Fat: 4.6g | Cholesterol: 15.8mg | Sodium: 390.2mg | Potassium: 319.5mg | Fiber: 6.9g | Sugar: 1.8g