Gooey Garlic Bread Grilled Cheese Sandwich
This Garlic Bread Grilled Cheese with French Onions is the ultimate gooey cheesy indulgent sandwich with a healthy twist. Packed with flavor and done in minutes, it's comfort food at its best!
Servings: 4 sandwiches
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 3 onions (red or white) sliced
For the Grilled Cheese
- 8 slices whole grain bread
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
For the Garlic Butter
- 5 tsp butter
- 1 clove garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
Prepare the onions. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook until transparent and fragrant, about 8 minutes. Add stock and let it simmer until it completely disappears. Pour wine and let it reduce. Remove from heat.
Prepare garlic butter. Combine 5 tsp of room temperature butter with one clove of minced garlic, and salt and pepper to taste.
Assemble the garlic bread grilled cheese sandwich. Top a slice of whole grain bread with around ¼ cup french onion and ¼ cup cheddar cheese. Cover with another slice of bread. Spread ½ tsp of garlic butter on the outer layer of both slices of bread (you'll use 1 tsp per sandwich). Repeat the process to create 4 sandwiches.
In a large skillet over medium heat melt the remaining 1 tsp of butter. Add the thyme sprigs and cook for 2 minutes or until fragrant.
Place the sandwiches in the skillet and cook for 3 minutes per side or until golden brown.
Top Tips for Making Garlic Bread Grilled Cheese
- Prepare your garlic butter before assembling grilled cheese.
- Prepare the onions in your large skillet, then transfer to a bowl. Wipe clean with a paper towel, and then use the same skillet to prepare the grilled cheese sandwiches.
- Be sure pan is preheated to medium-high heat before adding grilled cheeses.
- To make gluten free, just use a gluten free bread!
- Serve with a side of veggies for a complete and healthy meal.
Serving: 1sandwich | Calories: 406.4kcal | Carbohydrates: 42.5g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 20.4g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 52.5mg | Sodium: 782.6mg | Potassium: 381.4mg | Fiber: 6.5g | Sugar: 6.6g