Sweet Potato Cauliflower Curry
This Sweet Potato Cauliflower Curry is perfectly seasoned with Indian spices. It makes for a wonderful main dish served over rice, or as a side dish paired with a hearty stew or salad. It's healthy, vegan and gluten-free too!
- 2 tbsp olive oil divided
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger grated
- 1½ tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper optional
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 1 medium sweet potato peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 large head of cauliflower cut into bite size florets
Preheat oven to 420 F. Chop cauliflower into bite size pieces. Toss in 1 tbsp of olive oil. Place on sheet pan, and roast for 15 minutes.
While cauliflower is roasting add 1 tbsp of olive oil to a large nonstick skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Add the onion and ginger and cook for 4 minutes.
Stir in the coriander seeds, cumin seeds, turmeric, cayenne if using, and salt and toast for 15 seconds. Then add the tomatoes and sweet potatoes, and cook until they are tender, about 12 to 15 minutes.
Remove cauliflower from oven and add to the pot stirring well to combine.
Top Tips for Making Cauliflower Curry
- Roast the Cauliflower first. By the time the cauliflower is done roasting it will be time to add it to the pot.
- Reduce the amount of oil to reduce the total calories. Instead of using 2 tablespoons of oil use 2 teaspoons (1 tsp for the cauliflower and 1 tsp for sauteeing the veggies in the pan).
- Cut the cauliflower into small bite sized pieces. This will speed up the roasting time, and make this super easy for little people to enjoy too!
- If you really love the flavor of coriander you can increase the amount of coriander seeds.
- This recipe doesn't need much added salt. Taste before adding any additional salt.
- For some extra protein, add one 15oz can of chickpeas (rinsed & drained) to the dish (note: if you do this, you will have to increase the spices to taste to add flavor to the chickpeas)
Calories: 167kcal | Carbohydrates: 23.3g | Protein: 5.4g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 653mg | Potassium: 847mg | Fiber: 7.2g | Sugar: 6.5g