Chunky Vegan Black Bean Soup
This chunky vegan black bean soup is a healthy, hearty, filling, one-pot meal! Made with simple ingredients, flavorful spices, and you can customize it with your favorite toppings.
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 medium red onion diced
- 2 yellow or red bell peppers diced
- 2 tsp fresh oregano chopped
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp chipotle chile powder (use less if you don't want a spicy soup!)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 30 oz unsalted black beans drained and rinsed 2 cans
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- chopped fresh cilantro
- diced avocado
- crumbled tortilla chips
Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add oil to the pan; swirl to coat. Add onion and bell pepper. Cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in oregano, garlic, cumin, chili powder, and salt. Cook for 30 seconds.
Stir in stock and beans. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 10-20 minutes on low heat.
Mash the beans in the pot with a potato masher until the soup has a nice, chunky consistency.
Top tips for making Vegan Black Bean Soup
Adapted from CookingLight
- Used canned black beans for ease - no soaking required, just drain and rinse them. Look for canned beans in BPA free packing.
- You can briefly sauté the cumin, garlic and red pepper flakes to enhance their flavor. Then, add the remaining ingredients and gently simmer until the beans are tender and the flavors have melded.
- To achieve the perfect soup texture, purée a portion of the soup in the blender until it’s super creamy. Then stir it back into the pot. You will have a black bean soup with tender beans and a lightly creamy consistency, without the need for cream.
- Dial back the chipotle chili and cumin for a milder taste, and to make it kid friendly.
- Use a low sodium vegetable broth.
- Use fresh lime juice - it makes all the difference!
- You can top with diced avocado, cilantro, salsa, and chopped onion.
- Serve with brown rice, toasted whole wheat pita, sprouted wheat tortillas, corn tortillas, or tortilla chips.
Calories: 250kcal | Carbohydrates: 43.1g | Protein: 14.3g | Fat: 3.3g | Saturated Fat: 2.2g | Sodium: 2187mg | Fiber: 14.4g | Sugar: 1g