These healthy holiday fruitcake cookies are packed with pecans and dried cherries. They have a chewy texture and are low in sugar too!
Servings: 16 cookies
Place butter and brown sugar in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer for 2 minutes until light and fluffy.
Add the egg and milk, and beat to combine thoroughly.
In a small separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt.
Add half the dry ingredients into the butter mixture, combine fully, then add the remaining half and beat until combined. Do not over mix.
Stir in the pecans and mixed fruit.
Use a small cookie scoop to portion out the cookie dough and the refrigerate for 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 400F and remove cookie dough from the fridge.
Space the cookies 2" apart on a parchment or silicone mat lined cookie sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes.
Allow cookies to cool for one minute on the cookie sheet before moving to a cooling rack.
Top Tips for Making Holiday Fruitcake Cookies
Note: Nutritional info uses 1 egg and whole wheat pastry flour.
- Use a hand mixer to beat the wet ingredients.
- Mix wet ingredients and dry ingredients in separate bowls.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients which means you’ll want to put the wet ingredients in a larger bowl.
- Using a cookie scoop helps you get perfectly uniform cookies.
- Be sure to refrigerate the cookie dough balls before putting them in the oven. This process solidifies the fat in the cookies. This means that when the cookies are baking it will take longer for the chilled fat to melt than room temperature fat which will help keep the cookies from spreading too much when they bake.
- To make these cookies vegan, use coconut oil in place of the butter, a flax egg in place of the egg, and your choice of dairy free milk in place of the milk.
- To make these cookies gluten free, use gluten free oat flour.
Serving: 1cookie | Calories: 160.9kcal | Carbohydrates: 18.4g | Protein: 2.3g | Fat: 9.7g | Saturated Fat: 4.5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3.3g | Cholesterol: 29.2mg | Sodium: 199.7mg | Potassium: 53.8mg | Fiber: 2.2g | Sugar: 5.9g