Gourmet Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Pear
Melted brie and taleggio cheese, sliced pear, arugula, and honey are sandwiched between a whole wheat baguette and pressed to perfection to create this gourmet grilled cheese sandwich. Ready in just 15 minutes and kid-friendly too!
- 8 slices sprouted wheat bread, whole wheat bread, or a whole wheat baguette
- 2 tbsp olive oil (use 1.5 tsp per sandwich)
- 4 oz fontina, brie, or taleggio cheese (or a combination of the 3!)
- 2 large pears, apples or peaches cored and slice
- 4 tsp honey (1 tsp per sandwich)
- salt & pepper to taste
- 4 oz arugula or baby spinach (1oz per sandwich)
Preheat the Panini Press. Cut the baguette loaf into 4 equal pieces. Halve each piece horizontally to make 4 sandwiches. Brush the bread on both sides with olive oil.
Place the bottom half of the bread slices in the panini machine in a single layer. Heat until golden, about 3 to 4 minutes. Continue with the remaining top slices of bread.
While the top slices of the bread are in the Panini machine, begin forming the sandwiches. Divide the cheese among the warm bread. Cover the cheese with slices of fruit. Drizzle the fruit with honey. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Top with a handful of arugula.
Place the warmed top half of the bread over the arugula and return the completed sandwich to the panini machine for 1 to 2 minutes more to finish melting the cheese.
Remove from the panini machine. Cut the sandwiches in half and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Top Tips for Making This Gourmet Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Note: This recipe has only 6g added sugar per serving
- Preheat the panini press.
- Make sure to brush all sides of the bread with olive oil. This will help it toast nicely.
- Toast both the bottom and the top of the sandwiches in the panini press before assembling the sandwiches. This will give you a toasty bottom and crunchy inside. Begin with the bottom half of the bread, then the top. While the top is toasting, begin assembling the sandwiches.
- Check the bread after 3 minutes. Be careful not to burn the bread.
- After you’ve assembled the sandwiches you’ll put them back in the panini press to melt the cheese for 1-2 minutes.
- If you can’t find taleggio cheese, brie or fontina cheese also work well in this sandwich.
- You can use thin apple slices or peach slices instead of pear.
- If you don’t have arugula, spinach works well.
- If you don’t have honey you can use a small amount of pure maple syrup.
- To add even more fiber and protein, try using sprouted wheat bread instead of a whole wheat baguette.
- If you don't have a panini machine you can also use a grill pan or a large skillet! Just use another pan to press down on the paninis to give that "grilled" feeling.
Calories: 397kcal | Carbohydrates: 47.4g | Protein: 16.2g | Fat: 16.9g | Saturated Fat: 6.4g | Sodium: 408.7mg | Potassium: 442mg | Fiber: 8.8g | Sugar: 15.9g