Sweet Potato and Carrot Soup with White Beans
This creamy sweet potato and carrot soup is made with white beans for a full and hearty meal. Packed full of nutritious ingredients, this low fat soup is vegetarian and easily made vegan.
- 3 small/medium sweet potatoes peeled and cubed (about 2 lbs)
- 1 cup carrots diced
- 1 32oz box of veggie broth
- 9 cloves garlic minced
- 2 red onion
- 2 15oz cans cannelini beans rinsed and drained
- 1 tbsp fresh sage chopped
- 3/4 to 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- serve with parmesan & diced apple
Add olive oil, onion, garlic, salt and pepper into a large pot over medium heat. Saute until onion is translucent, about 10 min.
Add sweet potatoes, carrots, broth, beans, and sage and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until potatoes are very tender - up to 30 minutes (depending on how hot your stove gets!)
Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until smooth.
Season to taste with salt & pepper as needed. Serve topped with diced apple (1-2 tbsp) and 1 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
Top tips for Making Sweet Potato and Carrot Soup
- If you don't have an immersion blender, you can use an upright one and blend the soup in batches. Just be careful as it will be very hot. Don't fill your blender to the top with the soup ingredients as it will expand. Fill halfway and blend in batches.
- Use a low sodium vegetable broth to reduce salt.
- The soup will keep for around three days in an airtight container in the fridge.
- The soup freezes really well, so it's great for batch cooking.
- Portion your sizes. If you’re serving a hot soup, make sure it’s hot. Also, the ideal serving size for an appetizer portion is about 1 cup (250ml), while a meal portion is about 1 1/3 cups (350ml).
- Let hot soups cool at room temperature, uncovered for 1 to 1/2 hours, or until almost at room temperature. Cover and refrigerate until cold. Soups can last in the fridge for up to three days.
Calories: 289kcal | Carbohydrates: 55g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 990mg | Potassium: 1016mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 7g