Gluten Free Spaghetti Squash Casserole
This healthy main dish has all the comfort and flavor of a pasta bake, without the pasta! This spaghetti squash casserole is easy to make and packed full of nutritious ingredients for a delicious family meal.
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 yellow bell peppers diced
- 1 red onion diced
- 3 carrots diced
- 3 zucchini cut into fourths lengthwise, and then sliced into ¼ inch thick pieces
- 8 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp dried italian seasoning
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- Sprinkle of crushed red pepper and black pepper
- Salt to taste (about ½ tsp)
- 1.5 28oz Jars of your favorite pasta sauce (I like Muir Glen or Cucina Antica)
- 1 cup Shredded italian cheese blend or shredded parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 350ºF.
Poke spaghetti squash all over with a knife and cook in the microwave for eight to 12 minutes until soft. If you don't have a microwave, place the poked squash on a baking pan and bake at 375ºF for 45 to 60 minutes.
While the squash is cooking, add the oil through salt to a pan (oil + veggies + seasonings), cooking over medium heat for about 10-15 minutes until fully cooked through.
Cut the squash in half, scoop out the seeds, and with a fork, scrape the flesh from the peel. It should flake off easily in strings, resembling spaghetti.
Place the spaghetti squash flesh in a casserole dish. Add the cooked veggies, pasta sauce, and half of the cheese and mix well. Sprinkle the other half of the cheese on top and bake for 30 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly.
Allow to cool for five minutes, serve, and enjoy.
Top Tips To Make Spaghetti Squash Casserole
Adapted from this recipe
- Cut the squash across the middle for longer strands. When you cut it lengthwise you halve the strands, as they are arranged in a circular formation.
- To save time, cook the spaghetti squash is in the microwave, but you can also cook it in the oven.
- This is a really versatile dish, if you don't have all the veggies in the recipe add the ones that you have in your fridge.
- For convenience I use jarred pasta sauce, but if you have time, you can always make your own!
Calories: 275kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 22mg | Sodium: 1686mg | Potassium: 1440mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 9150IU | Vitamin C: 209.6mg | Calcium: 395mg | Iron: 4mg