Vegan Butternut Squash Soup with Coconut Milk and Ginger
This curried, vegan butternut squash soup with coconut milk is healthy, easy, and packed full of flavor. With warm spices like ginger and curry powder, this is the best butternut squash soup you'll ever make!
- 1 red onion diced
- 2 15oz cans of cannellini beans rinsed and drained
- 1-2 cups vegetable broth more if needed
- 2 butternut squashes - cubed or 2 16oz packages of frozen butternut squash
- 2 tbsp minced ginger
- 1/2 tbsp curry powder
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 15oz can of light coconut milk
- 1 tsp salt more to taste
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- 1 sprinkle dried thyme
Add onion, ginger, garlic and olive oil to a large pot over medium heat. Saute until onions are translucent - about 5 minutes.
Add beans, butternut squash, curry powder, thyme, coconut milk, salt, coconut sugar and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer, covered, about 10-15 minutes until squash is soft.
Puree with an immersion blender until smooth. Serve with crushed cashews or peanuts on top and pita chips on the side!
Top tips for making Vegan Butternut Squash Soup with Coconut Milk and Ginger
Modified from Food and Wine
- The soup will keep well in the fridge for a few days and is easily frozen. If you're using a freezer bag to store your soup, freeze it flat so that you can stack the frozen bags to save space. Also, make sure your soup is cool before freezing and if you plan to reheat only some of it at a time, store it in pre-portioned containers.
- If you want to add even more veggies into this soup, I'd recommend adding 8oz frozen cauliflower (at the same step you add the butternut squash).
- Butternut squash is harvested in the Autumn, so if you're making this soup out of season, buy frozen butternut squash to take advantage of all those nutrients!
- For garnishes, I like fresh cilantro, chopped nuts (like cashews or peanuts) and whole wheat pita chips for dipping! You can also serve this with a side salad of fresh greens for additional veggies.
Calories: 260kcal | Carbohydrates: 49g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 463mg | Potassium: 1184mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 19995IU | Vitamin C: 41mg | Calcium: 176mg | Iron: 4.7mg