Italian Chickpea Soup with Tomatoes and Rosemary
This easy Italian Chickpea Soup is healthy, nutritious, comforting and easy to make. It can be made on the stove top or in your Instant Pot (or slow cooker).
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion diced
- 4 carrots diced
- 5 celery stalks diced
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 30 oz canned chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 28 oz canned crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp salt more to taste
- ½ tsp pepper more to taste
- 2 tsp dried italian seasoning
- 1 sprinkle crushed red pepper
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 4 cups baby spinach shredded
- Shredded parmesan cheese for garnish about 1 tbsp per bowl
- Serve with crusty bread or whole grain garlic bread on the side
Directions - Stovetop
Heat oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the carrots, celery, onion, and garlic and sauté until tender and fragrant, about 6 to 8 minutes.
Add the broth, tomatoes, chickpeas, salt, and pepper. Add the rosemary, basil and bay leaves. Cover and cook on low for 30 minutes. Add the spinach, cover and simmer until wilted, about 2 minutes.
Remove the bay leaves, and rosemary sprig. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Ladle soup into bowls and top with parmesan cheese if desired.
Directions - Instant Pot
Turn your instant pot onto saute on low. Add the carrots, celery, onion, and garlic and sauté until tender and fragrant, about 6 to 8 minutes.
Add the broth, tomatoes, chickpeas, salt, and pepper. Add the rosemary, basil and bay leaves. Cover and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes, natural release.
Remove the bay leaves, and rosemary sprig before serving. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Ladle soup into bowls and top with parmesan cheese if desired.
Top tips for making Chickpea Tomato Soup
Modified from this recipe.
- Use the freshest veggies you can, and organic if possible.
- Dice the vegetables fairly small so that they soften quickly.
- The soup can be frozen easily (will keep in the freezer for up to 4 months), or kept in an air tight container in the fridge for a few days.
- Make sure you remove the bay leaves and rosemary sprigs before serving.
- Top with some Parmesan and add some fresh herbs as a garnish, if you like another layer of flavor.
- Add a dollop of sour cream, or Greek yogurt for additional creaminess.
- To make vegan, omit the parmesan cheese.
- To make gluten-free - serve with gluten free bread on the side (the soup itself is already naturally gluten free!)
Calories: 254kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 600mg | Potassium: 817mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 12g