Kid-Friendly Mexican Taco Casserole
This healthy one pot meal is perfect when you need to get dinner on the table in a hurry!
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 red onion
- 2 bell peppers diced red yellow or orange
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cans pinto beans rinsed & drained
- 15 oz can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach chopped
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp taco seasoning more to taste
- ½ tsp salt more to taste
- ⅛ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ cup cooked quinoa
- 1 lime
- 1 avocado diced for topping
- Cilantro for topping
- Whole milk plain greek yogurt or sour cream for topping
Add onion, bell peppers, garlic and olive oil to a large pan over medium heat. Saute until onions are translucent, about 5-10 minutes.
Add pinto beans, diced tomatoes, corn, baby spinach and all spices (chili powder through black pepper). Saute another 10-15 minutes until everything is cooked through. Stir in quinoa.
Squeeze lime juice on top and stir to combine. Serve warm, topped with avocado, cilantro and greek yogurt.
Top tips for making this Healthy Mexican Taco Casserole
Modified from Super Healthy Kids
- I used pinto beans in this dish, but you could easily swap them for black or kidney beans.
- You can use any veggies you like - it's a great dish for using up leftover veggies in the fridge!
- Keep any leftovers in an air tight container in the fridge (for up to 4 days) and gently reheat in the microwave or the stove.
- Serve with your favorite Mexican toppings like salsa, guacamole or sour cream.
- The longer you simmer this, the softer the veggies/beans/etc. will become. For adults/older kids - sautéing 10-15 minutes is plenty of time for the flavors to come together and for the veggies to still have a nice bite to them. But for really young kids, you can cook it longer so it's easier for them to chew!
Calories: 263kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 10.9g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 336mg | Potassium: 880mg | Fiber: 12.2g | Sugar: 3.8g | Vitamin A: 2305IU | Vitamin C: 184.1mg | Calcium: 92mg | Iron: 4mg