Healthy Eggplant Parmesan
Enjoy a classic eggplant parmesan without the guilt!
Servings: 4 servings
- 4 Eggplant Slices
- Olive oil spray
- 8 tbsp Your favorite marinara sauce
- 4 tbsp Fresh shredded Parmesan Cheese
- 4 tbsp Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/4 cup Chopped fresh basil
- Salt & pepper
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Arrange the eggplant slices on a baking sheet, spray lightly with olive oil cooking spray, sprinkle them with salt & pepper, and bake for 15-20 min until slightly crispy.
Remove from oven. Top each eggplant slice with 1-2 Tbsp sauce, 1 Tbsp mozzarella cheese and 1 Tbsp shredded Parmesan Cheese. Bake 8-10 min until cheese is bubbly. Top with basil before serving.
You can also serve the eggplant with 1/2 cup cooked whole wheat or lentil pasta for a complete meal. Enjoy!
Top tips to make healthy eggplant parmesan
Adapted from FoodNetwork
- Keep the skin on the eggplant slices, it is full of nutrients!
- Salt the eggplant for 20 minutes before roasting -- this will cut down on bitterness and will help make the eggplant more crispy when you bake it (since salting the eggplant removes a lot of the water content).
- Choose an eggplant that has shiny and smooth skin, and is a bright, vibrant purple color. If the eggplant has wrinkled or dull skin, it's probably too old. Pick an eggplant that's slightly firm to the touch - not one that feels mushy or soft.
- As far as side dishes, you can serve this with lentil pasta or whole wheat pasta, a big green salad, or other roasted veggies!
Serving: 1eggplant slice | Calories: 76.4kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 3.4g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 7.4mg | Sodium: 296.9mg | Potassium: 245.7mg | Fiber: 2.2g | Sugar: 4g