Healthy Stuffed Vegetarian Peppers
These stuffed vegetarian bell peppers are full of Mexican flavors and are perfect for a weeknight meal. They are gluten-free and can easily be made vegan too!
- 3 Bell Peppers (red, yellow or orange)
- 3/4 cup Refried Black Beans (about 1/4 cup per pepper)
- 3/4 cup Cooked brown rice
- 6 tbsp Mexican shredded cheese blend
- 6 tbsp Your favorite salsa for topping, 2 tbsp per pepper
- 3 tbsp Guacamole for topping, 1 tbsp per pepper
- 3/4 cup Corn kernels (either frozen & defrosted, or fresh)
- 1/2 tbsp Taco seasoning (or more to taste, I like the one from Trader Joe's)
- Cumin, Chili Powder, Ancho Chili Powder, Paprika to taste
- Salt to taste
Roast the peppers under a broiler (350 degrees for 5 min - or until the top of the peppers begins to blacken). At the same time, cook the brown rice (if it's not already pre-cooked).
Cut off the tops of the peppers, take out the seeds/etc. Set aside.
Heat the corn in a microwave safe bowl (or on the stovetop). Once warmed, stir in ~1/2 tsp cumin, ~1/2-1 tsp chili powder and 1/8-1/4 tsp salt. Set aside.
Heat the refried black beans on the stove, add taco seasoning to taste.
Spread the black beans at the bottom and along the sides of each pepper.
Top with corn mixture, then with brown rice, then with corn again. Spoon 1-2 Tbsp Mexican cheese blend on top of each pepper.
Broil at 350 degrees on low for 5 min until cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve with salsa and/or guacamole. Enjoy!!
Top Tips for Making Stuffed Vegetarian Peppers
- Watch the peppers carefully when you are broiling them to make sure they don't burn.
- If you want to add some extra veggies, you can add some chopped baby spinach into the corn filling!
- If you don't have corn or rice, just about any vegetable and grain will work well to stuff these peppers. Try zucchini, squash, carrots, quinoa, barley or farro!
- For additional toppings, try guacamole, crushed tortilla chips, plain Greek yogurt, or organic sour cream.
- When serving to little kids, cut into tiny pieces to make it bite-sized and easy to eat!
- These peppers can be prepared ahead of time, and stored in the fridge for up to 24 hours before baking in an airtight container.
Calories: 271kcal | Carbohydrates: 41.5g | Protein: 10.6g | Fat: 9.1g | Saturated Fat: 3.8g | Sodium: 844mg | Fiber: 7.1g | Sugar: 2.9g