Vegan Butternut Squash Chili
Made with sweet butternut squash, savory and warm spices, fiber and protein-packed black beans, crunchy corn, and acidic tomatoes, this chili has just about every flavor you could possibly want!
Servings: 10 servings
Peel the squash and cut into 1 inch pieces
Peel the carrots and cut into 1 inch pieces
In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
Stir in the butternut squash, carrots, bell peppers, onion, garlic, and tomato paste. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes.
Add the broth, diced tomatoes, beans, and corn.
Stir in all the spices (chili powder through cayenne).
Bring back to a simmer then reduce the heat and cook for at least 1 hour, or until the squash and carrots are tender. The longer it simmers, the better the flavors will be!
Serve hot with chopped green onions and 1 tbsp shredded cheddar cheese per bowl (optional!)
Top Tips for Making Butternut Squash Chili
Adapted from The Kitchn
- You can make this recipe on the stove top or in the slow cooker. If you choose to make it in the slow cooker sauté the onions and garlic before adding to the slow cooker. Everything else can be thrown in.
- If using the stovetop method cook for at least an hour. Using a fork, check to see that the butternut squash is fully cooked. It should easily pierce with a fork.
- If using the slow cooker method cook for 6-8 hours.
- Peel and chop the butternut squash into 1 inch pieces. If you’d like to save time buy pre-cut butternut squash.
- Use different colored bell peppers to add some color to this dish.
- Feel free to switch out the vegetables for any you like or have on hand
- For kids, feel free to adjust the spices as needed!
Calories: 207kcal | Carbohydrates: 39.3g | Protein: 9.7g | Fat: 2.9g | Saturated Fat: 1.1g | Sodium: 355.8mg | Fiber: 10.4g | Sugar: 4.8g