Baked Cinnamon Apples with a Quinoa Crumble
These baked apples are stuffed with a mixture of spiced sprouted quinoa, hearty rolled oats, crunchy nuts, and sweet dried fruit. They are absolutely delicious, easy to prep and are perfect for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or a guilt-free dessert anytime of the year!
Servings: 4 servings
Heat oven to 350°F. Hollow out apples to make a thin shell, leaving the bottom intact. Place apple shells in 8-inch baking pan. Chop remaining apple.
Combine chopped apple, quinoa medley, dried fruit, pecans, sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon and nutmeg in medium bowl.
Divide quinoa mixture into apple shells.
Pour apple juice into baking dish. Cover tightly with foil. Bake 30 minutes. Uncover; bake an additional 10 minutes or until fork tender.
Serve warm, with ice cream, frozen yogurt, or just enjoy on its own!
Top Tips For Baked Apples With Spiced Sprouted Quinoa
Adapted from TruRoots
- Select a suitable type of apple for cooking. Not all apples lend themselves to being baked. Here are some good options: Braeburn, Fuji, Granny Smith (for a less sweet option), Honeycrisp, Jonathan, Jonagold and Pink Lady.
- To core an apple, cut out the center using a melon baller or small paring knife, leaving the base intact to keep the filling in – don’t cut all the way through or the filling will leak out!
- Baking time can vary by the type and size of apples you are using. Start checking at half an hour, and if the liquid has evaporated so much that the surface of the baking dish is dry, add more.
- This dish is great for kids, it contains a lot of familiar ingredients and the texture of the apples is delightful and easy to chew. You can cut the apples in half and then bake them, for easier eating. You can also choose an apple on the sweeter end of the scale, like a Jonagold, which has a lovely red hue too!
- To make the crumble gluten-free, just use gluten-free certified oats.
- Be sure to chop the apples quite small (about the size of blueberries) so that they bake evenly and melt into the other filling ingredients.
- Serving suggestions: These Baked Apples are great served plain but are also delicious topped with unsweetened whipped cream, or vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of caramel sauce. They'll also taste great with frozen yogurt, or even just a drizzle of honey or maple syrup over the top.
Serving: 1apple | Calories: 228kcal | Carbohydrates: 44g | Protein: 3.3g | Fat: 6.5g | Saturated Fat: 0.6g | Sodium: 7.2mg | Fiber: 6.3g | Sugar: 27g