Simple Slow-Cooker Yellow Dal
Essentially, it is spiced lentil stew. Rich, warm spices like turmeric, cumin, and coriander fill my kitchen when I’m cooking dal. And the husband always loves it.
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 cup split chickpeas or chana dal soaked in cold water for 1 hour. You can also use yellow split peas if you don't have chana dal.
- 3 cups water
- 3 tomatoes diced
- 1 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 medium red onion finely chopped
- 5 large garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 3/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro leaves
- 1 tsp salt
Add the lentils, salt, and 3 cups of water to a slow cooker. Cook on high for 4-6 hours.
When your lentils are close to done, heat oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Add a couple cumin seeds to test out the heat of the oil. If they pop, the oil is ready to go! Add all of your cumin seeds and mustard seeds and let cook for 10-15 seconds (until the seeds pop). Then add your coriander, turmeric, cayenne, onion, tomato, and garlic, stir for 30 seconds, and turn the heat down to medium low. Let it cook until the onions become translucent and the tomatoes break down.
Add the onion/tomato/spice mixture to the slow cooker and stir to combine. Top with cilantro and serve!
Calories: 210kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 3.4g | Saturated Fat: 2.9g | Sodium: 581mg | Fiber: 13g | Sugar: 4g