Baby Food Recipes: Butternut Squash Puree
This butternut squash baby food puree is rich in flavor, vitamins, and minerals for your little one! It's a simple puree recipe that has a naturally sweet flavor your baby will love! A delicious stage 1 food to introduce to your baby.
Servings: 20 ounces
- 2 medium sized organic butternut squash
- 16 oz water divided
Preheat oven to 400F
Cut squash in half lengthwise, remove seeds.
Place squash flesh side down on a sheet tray covered with parchment paper.
Pour 8oz water onto the parchment paper.
Roast for about an hour until tender. The squash should be bubbling and caramelized.
Allow to cool 10-15 minutes until you can hold it without a problem.
Peel off the outside skin and put flesh into a blender with 8oz water. Puree until smooth.
Pour into ice cube trays, allow to cool, then wrap/cover and freeze.
Thaw in the fridge the night before use, or thaw by putting the ice cube in a bowl over a bowl of hot water on the counter to defrost.
Adapted from BabyLove
- No need to use a fancy baby food maker. Your blender or food processor will work just fine!
- If choosing the roasting method, use 2 medium butternut squashes, and simply cut half to roast.
- If choosing to boil or steam, use frozen or pre-cubed butternut squash. This will save you time from peeling and cubing a whole squash.
- Use baby freezer containers or small food storage containers for ease of use. They are made specifically to freeze baby food, and make it much easier to defrost as needed.
- Add additional water if needed to reach your desired consistency.
- Stir in breast milk, or baby formula just before serving to baby to add to the nutritional content or to thin out the consistency instead of water.
- Spice up your baby's food! Serve with a pinch of cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice or ginger.
- 1 ice cube = 1 oz of food
Calories: 34kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 4mg | Potassium: 264mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 7973IU | Vitamin C: 16mg | Calcium: 37mg | Iron: 1mg