Baby Food With Peas: Pea Puree
Simple to make baby food with peas, a pea puree for baby, that is rich in protein, folic acid, and vitamins and minerals. This stage one baby food can be served to your baby as young as 4 months. It has a fresh flavor and can be combined with fresh herbs for an earthy flavor.
Prep Time10 minutes mins
Cook Time5 minutes mins
Total Time15 minutes mins
Course: Baby Food
Diet: Gluten Free, Low Fat, Vegan, Vegetarian
Servings: 14 ounces
- 2 lbs organic frozen peas about 2 (16 oz) bags
- 8 oz water more or less depending on how thin or thick you want your puree to be
Steam your peas for 3-5 minutes
Once the peas are green and soft, pour them into a blender and add 8oz water. Puree until smooth. (You may want to start with less water and keep adding more until your puree has reached its desired consistency).
Pour into ice cube trays, allow to cool, wrap/cover, and freeze.
Thaw in the fridge the night before use, or thaw by putting the ice cube in a bowl over a bowl of hot water on the counter to defrost.
- Mix with your baby's favorite fruit or some sweeter veggies (butternut squash works great) to make peas more palatable!
- This recipe can make anywhere from 12-16 ounces depending on how much water you use.1 ice cube = 1 oz of food
- Stage 1 Food: 4 months and up
- Use baby food storage containers. This allows you to make one batch, freeze, and have for the entire month or more! You'll save tons of time, and have a variety of fresh and homemade purees to give to baby.
- For a super smooth puree, I recommend investing in a high powered blender. I used our Vitamix to puree large quantities at the same time. It pulverizes everything and you end up with a smooth texture (similar to what you'd find in store bought baby food). You don't need a "baby food maker" - any great blender will do. And if you have a Vitamix you can use it for so many other things besides baby food!
- Don't overcook the peas! They don't need a ton of time to steam. You want them to turn a bright green color, and become slightly soft in texture - that's when they are perfectly cooked.
- Adjust consistency as needed. If the baby puree is too thick add more water. Or add breast milk, or formula just before serving to your baby.
Serving: 1ounce | Calories: 52kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 0.3g | Saturated Fat: 0.05g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0.02g | Sodium: 4mg | Potassium: 158mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g