Vegan Flatbread with Zucchini and Fresh Corn
This corn and zucchini vegan flatbread is fresh, flavorful, and super easy to make! Whole wheat pita is crisped in the oven, then topped with sweet corn, crisp zucchini and Italian herbs and spices. It's a super family friendly meal that even picky kids will love!
Servings: 2 servings
- 2 Whole wheat pita bread
- ½ red onion thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 3 tsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 zucchini quartered and sliced
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper
- ½-1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
- ½ cup shredded vegan mozzarella cheese Use ¼ cup per flatbread
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves 1 tsp per flatbread
Optional Homemade Flatbread Ingredients
Heat a pan over medium heat. Saute the garlic, corn, squash, salt, pepper, onions, Italian seasoning and crushed red pepper in 2 tsp olive oil in a pan. Cook through for 5-10 minutes.
Warm pita bread in the oven or the toaster oven. Brush with 1/4 tsp olive oil.
Top each flatbread with the zucchini mixture (about ½ cup per flatbread, but you can put as much of it on as you like).
Then, add ¼ cup of vegan cheese and 1 tsp of fresh thyme to each flatbread.
Bake at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Optional Homemade Flatbread Instructions
Melt the vegan butter and almond milk over medium-high heat in a medium saucepan.
In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients including the flour and salt. Add the melted butter and milk. Using a spatula fold together until the flour is absorbed.
Turn your dough out onto a floured surface. Knead the dough until it is smooth. This should only take a few minutes. For a less hands-on approach use your food processor to combine the ingredients and knead the dough for you.
Place the ball of dough in a large mixing bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Allow the ball of dough to rest for 30 minutes.
Dust your surface with a little bit of flour. Place the dough ball on the floured surface and cut it into 6 equal parts. Roll each part into a ball. Then roll them out flat using a rolling pin.
Heat a large pan over high heat. There's no need to add any oil. Place one of the flatbreads in the pan. Cook on each side for about 1 1/2 minutes. For best results, wait to flip the flatbread until it is golden brown puffs up. Continue with the rest of the flatbreads.
Top Tips For Making Vegan Flatbread
Adapted from CookingLight.com
- Use whole-wheat pita bread or a sprouted wheat tortilla for additional fiber.
- Feel free to switch up the vegan cheese and toppings to suit your family's tastes!
- You don't need fresh corn for this recipe - canned or frozen would work just as well. If you use frozen corn, defrost it in the microwave or in the fridge before sautéing it with the other veggies.
- Don't overload on the vegan cheese, a little goes a long way!
- This recipe is for 2 flatbreads and depending on how big your zucchinis are you may end up with toppings for a little more than 2 flatbreads. Use the leftover toppings as a filling for tacos, quesadillas, or just make more flatbreads the next day! :)
Serving: 1flatbread | Calories: 413kcal | Carbohydrates: 59g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 22mg | Sodium: 1181mg | Potassium: 856mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 9g