No Bake, Vegan, Date Bars Recipe (Homemade Lara Bar)
Made with just 5 ingredients, this no bake recipe for date bars has zero added sugar but is still amazingly sweet and decadent!
Servings: 12 bars
- ½ cup organic Medjool dates pitted and chopped (comes to about 4 dates)
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup whole macadamia nuts
- 4 tbsp almond or cashew butter
- Dash of sea salt
Add all of the ingredients into a food processor. Blend on high until the ingredients form a smooth dough.
Press the dough into an 8x8 baking pan lined with parchment. Chill in the fridge for 2 hours to set. Cut into 12 equal rectangles and serve.
Variations for This Homemade Lara Bar Recipe
- Feel free to switch the nuts and add in dried fruits according to your taste preferences: any nuts, seeds and dried fruit will work well in this recipe.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week, using parchment paper to separate the bars. These bars will not hold up well if you freeze them.
- Do not use chopped dates, since they are typically coated in sugar or cornstarch.
- Make sure to refrigerate for at least 2 hours before cutting them - but longer is even better.
- Cashew Cookie: Switch the macadamia nuts for cashews, use cashew or almond butter, and omit the cocoa powder.
- Dark Chocolate Brownie: Switch the macadamia nuts for almonds and add 1/2 cup walnuts and 1-2 tablespoons of 88% dark chocolate chunks (preferably from a dark chocolate bar vs. chocolate chips)
- Apple Pie: Switch the macadamia nuts for pecans, add 1/4 cup walnuts, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, and 1/2 cup dried apples. Omit the cocoa powder.
- Peanut Cookie: Switch the macadamia nuts for peanuts, and use peanut butter instead of almond butter. Omit the cocoa powder.
- Cookie Dough: Switch the macadamia nuts for peanuts or cashews, omit the cocoa powder, and add 1/8 cup mini chocolate chips.
- Pecan Pie: Switch the macadamia nuts for pecans and add 1/4 cup almonds. Omit the cocoa powder.
- PB&J: Switch the macadamia nuts for peanuts, omit the cocoa powder and add 1/8 cup dried raisins or cherries.
- Banana Bread: Switch the macadamia nuts for almonds, omit the cocoa powder, add in 1/2 cup walnuts and 1/2 cup dried bananas.
Serving: 1bar | Calories: 138kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 8g | Sodium: 2mg | Potassium: 178mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g