Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole
Enjoy this Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole any time of year! It is sweet, filled with plump golden raisins, maple syrup, crunchy pecans, and fall spices. Complete your holiday dinner or add it as a side to your supper.
Servings: 12 servings
- 3 1/2 lbs sweet potatoes about 5 medium, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon divided
- 1 Tbsp packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
Chop potatoes into cubes, cover potatoes with water, and boil in a large pot until soft when pierced with a fork. Drain, and return to the pot.
Preheat oven to 400° F. Spray a baking dish with cooking spray. Mash the sweet potatoes, then add the maple syrup, raisins, nutmeg, ginger, salt, and a 1/2 tsp of cinnamon. Whip with an electric mixer or an immersion blender until smooth (if you don't have one, you can do this step by hand—it'll just take a little muscle!).
Mix the brown sugar, pecans, and remaining 1/2 tsp cinnamon in a bowl.
Spread the sweet potato mixture in the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle pecan mixture over the potatoes. Bake until hot and beginning to brown around the edges, about 15-20 minutes.
Top Tips For Making This Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole
- When cutting the sweet potatoes, try to cut them the same size. This will allow them to cook more evenly, and they will be done at the same time.
- Don’t forget to add cooking spray to the baking dish. Otherwise, the sugar and maple syrup will cause the potatoes to really stick to the pan.
- For best results, use an immersion blender or your electric mixer. It will give you super smooth sweet potatoes, and it’s incredible.
- If you want to save time, you can use sweet potato puree instead of whole sweet potatoes. You will need about 6.5 cups of sweet potato puree for this recipe.
- Feel free to substitute another topping for the pecans: walnuts + rolled oats + cinnamon would also taste great.
- If you don't have sweet potatoes, you can also use yams for this recipe.
Calories: 101kcal | Carbohydrates: 19.8g | Protein: 1.3g | Fat: 2.5g | Saturated Fat: 0.3g | Sodium: 106.9mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 7.2g