Sweet and Sour Tofu with Vegetables
Sweet and Sour takeout flavors without the excess fat and other ingredients. You won't miss the price of takeout once you make this healthy tofu version at home.
Servings: 6 servings
- 14 oz Block Medium Firm Tofu
- 3 tbsp canola oil or any other neutral oil for cooking
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ½ tsp fresh ginger grated
- 2/3 cup fresh pineapple chunks
- 2 cups red bell pepper cubed (~ 1 medium red bell pepper)
- 1 ½ cups broccoli florets ~1 medium head of broccoli
- ½ white onion cubed
- 8 cremini mushrooms or white button mushrooms, de-stemmed and quartered or halved depending on the size of mushrooms
- 3 small “heads” bok choy rinsed trimmed and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 green onions chopped finely
- Brown rice cooked (1/4 cup per serving)
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup soy sauce gluten-free option: use San-J Tamari Sauce
- ¼ cup honey or another sweetener of choice
- 2 tsp chili sauce such as Huy Fong Chili Sauce
- 2 tsp coconut sugar granulated
- 2 tsp corn starch
- 4 tbsp water
To Prepare the Tofu:
Cut the block of tofu in half. Place each half in 2 clean paper towels one at a time and gently press/squeeze to remove excess stored liquid (without breaking up the tofu). Cut the tofu into 1/2-inch cubes and pan fry on medium-high heat with 1 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil. Mix and turn frequently until all the water is burned off and the tofu is lightly golden brown on most sides (be sure not to burn the tofu). If you find that the tofu is sticking to the pan, add a little more vegetable oil. Set aside.
In a large non-stick skillet or wok, heat 1 1/2 tbsp of vegetable oil on medium heat. Add the fresh garlic and ginger and fry for about 10-15 seconds until fragrant.
Add the onions, mushrooms, bell pepper, and broccoli and toss to combine. Mix frequently and sauté until all the vegetables are cooked and tender, yet still remain crispy. Note that all the water released from cooking the mushrooms should burn off while sautéing the vegetables. In the meantime, prepare the sauce.
To Prepare the Sauce:
Whisk all the ingredients listed under sauce above until all the cornstarch has dissolved. Add more or less chili sauce depending on your preference of spice. Taste the sauce prior to adding it to the dish to make sure you have the right amount of sweetness and saltiness (especially if you are using tamari instead of soy sauce, or a different sweetener instead of honey).
Once the vegetables are tender and crispy, turn the heat down to medium-low. Add the pan-fried tofu to the vegetables. Slowly add the sauce and toss with the vegetables and tofu. After about a minute, add the pineapple chunks and chopped bok choy.
Mix slowly on medium-low heat until the sauce starts to thicken and coat the vegetables and tofu. Be sure not to burn off all the sauce (this should only take 5-10 minutes). Turn off the heat and add the chopped green onions. Toss once more and serve hot with a side of cooked brown rice.
Calories: 253.3kcal | Carbohydrates: 33.8g | Protein: 11.3g | Fat: 10.7g | Saturated Fat: 1.2g | Sodium: 671.9mg | Fiber: 5.3g | Sugar: 17.1g