Gourmet Banana Peanut Butter Sandwich
Who said that the peanut butter sandwich had to be 1) boring 2) just for kids and 3) the same every time? Sometimes reinventing a classic is just what you need to get out of a rut.
Prep Time5 minutes mins
Cook Time10 minutes mins
Total Time15 minutes mins
Course: Main Course
Diet: Gluten Free, Vegan, Vegetarian
Servings: 1 serving
Spread the peanut & almond butter mixture on both slices of bread, and top one half with sliced bananas
Add chopped walnuts on top of the banana slices along with a sprinkle of cinnamon and a drizzle of honey.
Top with the other slice of bread (that already has peanut/almond butter spread on it), and put into the panini press (or grill in a griddle pan if you don't have a panini press) Once the top has browned and is slightly crispy, remove from panini press and let cool for 1-2 min.
Cut sandwich in half and enjoy!
Note: This recipe has only 3g added sugar, the rest of the sugar is natural (from the bananas and bread!)
Top tips for making this gourmet peanut butter sandwich
For variations on this peanut butter sandwich:
- Use ripe bananas - they will be much sweeter, and choose an organic peanut butter with no added sugar.
- If you don't have a panini press, you can grill these in a pan on the stove top.
- For best results, enjoy this sandwich fresh off the panini press, while it's still hot!
- To make this gluten free, just use your favorite gluten-free bread!
- To make this even more fun for kids, use cookie cutters to cut a peanut butter sandwich into tiny sandwiches in fun shapes: hearts, stars, dinosaurs have all been a big hit with my kids. Or you could do a seasonal theme: pumpkins for Halloween, Christmas trees for Christmas, snowmen for winter!
- Use different fresh fruit: diced strawberries, apples, pear, mangoes or peaches, all work well. Whole pomegranate seeds, or sliced figs are more adventurous options to try instead of the banana in this recipe
- Change up the spices! I used cinnamon in this recipe, but nutmeg, all spice, pumpkin pie spice, or even a pinch of cloves or cardamom would all work well. For a more "adult" flavor, try a pinch of cayenne or chili powder!
- Make it into a quesadilla! Replace the sprouted wheat bread with whole wheat tortillas and grill it on a griddle.
- Replace the peanut/almond butter with sunbutter!
- Try almonds, peanuts or cashews as whole crushed nuts instead of the walnuts. You could also whip up a custom blend of "peanut butter" using a mix of nut butters, seeds, granola or even coconut flakes!
- For a more decadent feel, try using these pancakes as the "bread" in this recipe!
Serving: 1sandwich | Calories: 419.4kcal | Carbohydrates: 51.1g | Protein: 16.9g | Fat: 18.9g | Saturated Fat: 3.6g | Sodium: 307.9mg | Potassium: 561.2mg | Fiber: 9.4g | Sugar: 14.5g