Vegan Quesadillas with Butternut Squash and Kale
Gooey vegan cheese, crispy tortillas and a spicy mix of hearty veggies make these vegan quesadillas the BEST you'll ever eat! Ready in just 30 minutes, these are super easy, healthy and absolutely delicious!
Servings: 4 servings
- 4 Whole Wheat Flour Tortillas
- 8 ounces Frozen Butternut Squash cubes
- 8 ounces Frozen Kale
- 1 red onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup vegan cheese you'll use ¼ cup per quesadilla; can be omitted
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper or crushed red pepper optional, if you like things on the spicier side
First, heat a large skillet over medium-heat with a tablespoon of oil. Sauté the onion and garlic until translucent.
Next, add the butternut squash and kale, sauté until cooked through.
Once the veggies have defrosted, add in all of the spices (salt through ground coriander; or through crushed red pepper flakes - if using). Cook for another ten minutes until all of the ingredients have combined and the squash is slightly soft.
Assemble the quesadilla! Take one flour tortilla and sprinkle 1/8 cup of vegan cheese on half of the tortilla. Top with ¼ of the butternut squash/kale mixture, then top again with 1/8 cup of cheese.
Spray a skillet with cooking spray and brown your quesadilla on both sides until golden brown and slightly crispy.
Let the quesadilla cool for a couple minutes after removing from the pan, then slice and serve with your choice of toppings.
- Use frozen veggies for ease and convenience. You can use fresh kale in the place of frozen if you like, but if you use fresh squash you will have to cook it first!
- If you like things spicy, add cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, or your favorite spicy taco seasoning.
- Cut these quesadillas with a pizza cutter for an easier way of preparing them.
- Adjust the temperature to low heat if needed to prevent overcooking the tortillas.
- For an extra protein boost, make black bean quesadillas with any bean mixture with pinto beans or black beans!
- If you're on a gluten-free diet, then use gluten-free tortillas.
Serving: 1quesadilla | Calories: 253kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 27mg | Sodium: 637mg | Potassium: 99mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g