Instant Pot Broccoli Cheddar Soup
This healthy Instant Pot Broccoli Cheddar Soup recipe takes forty-five minutes to make. It's a lightened up version of the classic, without losing any of the cheesy goodness of the original!
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 chopped carrot
- 4 cups broccoli florets coarsely chopped
- 3 cups low sodium vegetable stock
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ + ⅛ cup half-and-half
- 4 ounces shredded reduced-fat extra-sharp cheddar cheese divided
- ¼ cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves optional, garnish
Set the Instant Pot to the sauté function on medium heat. Add the chopped onions and the minced garlic. Sauté for 3 minutes, or until onions are soft and translucent.
Add the chopped carrots and broccoli florets. Stir to combine. Sauté for 2-3 minutes.
Add the vegetable stock, salt and pepper. Secure the Instant Pot lid. Set valve to sealing. Set the Instant Pot to High for 10 minutes.
Allow to naturally release for 10 minutes. Then turn the valve to vent to release any remaining pressure.
Transfer to a high speed blender. Blend until smooth, or leave a few chunks of broccoli if you like a chunkier texture.
Return the soup to the instant pot and stir in the cream and cheese.
Ladle into serving bowls. Top evenly with 1 tablespoon of cheese per bowl and chopped parsley. Enjoy!
Tips for Making Healthy Cheddar Broccoli Soup
Adapted from Cooking Light
- Ideally, use fresh organic broccoli since that will have the brightest broccoli flavor. But if you can't find fresh broccoli, you can use frozen broccoli as a backup!
- Use an Immersion Blender for easier clean-up, or a stand blender if you do not have one. I highly recommend getting an immersion blender for soups. It saves time and you still get a nice and creamy soup!
- Add cheese a little at a time and be sure it is well incorporated before adding more.
- Top with cheese and parsley.
Calories: 163kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 14mg | Sodium: 1223mg | Potassium: 475mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 6g