Healthy Cheddar Broccoli Soup
This Healthy Cheddar Broccoli Soup takes under thirty minutes to make. It's a lightened up version of the classic, without losing any of the cheesy goodness of the original!
Servings: 4 servings
- 3 cups unsalted vegetable stock
- 4 cups broccoli florets coarsely chopped
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 chopped carrot
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 + 1/8 cup half-and-half
- 4 ounces shredded reduced-fat extra-sharp cheddar cheese divided
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves optional, garnish
Combine first 7 ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until broccoli is tender.
Turn off the heat. Using an immersion (hand) blender, blend the soup until it's creamy. [Alternatively if you don't have a hand blender you can use a regular blender: Pour soup into a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Return soup to pan.]
Stir in 1/4 cup + 1/8 cup half-and-half and 2 ounces cheese. You don't need to turn the stove back on again, the residual heat from the soup should melt the cheese.
Top evenly with remaining 1 tbsp cheese per bowl and parsley.
Top Tips for Making Healthy Cheddar Broccoli Soup
Adapted from Cooking Light
- Ideally, use fresh organic broccoli since that will have the brightest broccoli flavor. But if you can't find fresh broccoli, you can use frozen broccoli as a backup!
- Use an Immersion Blender for easier clean-up, or a stand blender if you do not have one. I highly recommend getting an immersion blender for soups. It saves time and you still get a nice and creamy soup!
- Add cheese a little at a time and be sure it is well incorporated before adding more.
- Top with cheese and parsley.
Calories: 110kcal | Carbohydrates: 8.6g | Protein: 7.7g | Fat: 6g | Sodium: 458mg | Fiber: 3.9g | Sugar: 0.9g