Vegan Corn Chowder
Vegan Corn Chowder will keep you warm on a chilly day with all its comforting and delicious flavors. This lightened up version is hearty and filling without being too heavy and overwhelming. It's super creamy and ready in just 30 minutes!
Servings: 6 servings
- ¾ cup white quinoa rinsed and drained
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- ½ Tbsp olive oil or organic canola oil
- 2½ cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup diced red potato
- 4 small shallots chopped
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups plain unsweetened, organic soymilk
- 1 large red bell pepper diced
- 3 tbsp chopped cilantro plus a few sprigs for garnish
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ⅛-¼ tsp crushed red pepper to taste, depending on how spicy you like things
- ½ tsp salt more to taste
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- Lime wedges for garnish
Toast quinoa and cumin seeds in pot over medium-high heat, 3 to 4 minutes, or until golden and fragrant, stirring constantly. Transfer to bowl.
Heat oil in pot; add corn, potato and shallots. Sauté 5 minutes, or until shallots are translucent.
Add broth and soymilk and bring to a boil. Stir in quinoa mixture and all spices (cumin powder through black pepper). Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 10 minutes.
Stir in bell pepper, cover and simmer 5 minutes, or until quinoa and vegetables are tender. Remove from heat; stir in chopped cilantro.
Ladle into soup bowls, and garnish with cilantro sprigs and lime wedges (squeeze lime juice into soup and stir before eating).
Top Tips For Making This Easy Vegan Corn Chowder Recipe
Adapted from Vegetarian Times
- Be sure to stir the quinoa and cumin seeds constantly. Otherwise, they will burn and stick to the bottom of the pan. If that happens, start over, so the soup doesn’t lose it’s incredible flavor and taste burnt.
- For a slightly different texture, try blending only half of the soup and leaving the rest chunky.
- Don't forget to garnish! Fresh corn kernels, cilantro, lime wedges, green onions, or even some diced tomato would all taste great on top of this soup.
Calories: 253kcal | Carbohydrates: 44g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 7g | Sodium: 378mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 1g