Best Healthy Chocolate Cupcakes with Avocado Frosting
These healthy cupcakes without refined sugar are an amazing guilt-free dessert you’ll make again and again. The Greek yogurt, honey, and coconut oil combine to form a super moist treat that both kids and adults won’t even know is healthy!
Servings: 12 cupcakes
For The Cupcakes:
- 2 tbsp coconut oil melted
- 2 large eggs, room temperature (flax eggs for vegan)
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt (vegan Greek yogurt for vegan substitution)
- ½ cup almond milk
- 3-6 tbsp honey or maple syrup (for a vegan option) Note: Use 3 tbsp for these cupcakes to have 8 grams of sugar a piece. Use up to 6 tbsp for a sweeter cupcake.
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¾ cup white whole wheat flour (1:1 gluten free baking flour for gluten-free option)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
For The Healthy Chocolate Frosting:
- 1 large, ripe avocado
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2-4 tbsp honey (maple syrup for a vegan option) Note: Use 2 tbsp for these cupcakes to have 8 grams of sugar a piece. Use up to 4 tbsp for a sweeter frosting.
- 1 tbsp almond milk
To Make The Healthy Chocolate Cupcakes:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a muffin tin with paper cupcake liners.
In a large bowl, mix together melted coconut oil and eggs.
Add Greek yogurt, almond milk and honey. Mix to combine.
In a smaller bowl, whisk together cocoa powder, wheat flour, baking powder and salt.
Slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients.
Scoop cupcake batter into each section of the muffin tin, filling it about 2/3 of the way.
Bake for 20-22 minutes. Allow to cool before adding frosting.
For The Frosting:
Add all ingredients to a large bowl.
Use an electric mixer to beat on low speed until smooth.
Use an offset spatula to frost each cupcake.
Top Tips for Making Healthy Chocolate Cupcakes
- These cupcakes are not meant to be overly sweet - they taste more like dark chocolate. If you use 3 tbsp of honey for the cupcake and 2 tbsp honey for the frosting, these cupcakes will have more of that bitter/dark chocolate feel, but they will be super low in sugar (only 8 grams per serving). If you want a sweeter, more traditional cupcake, use 6 tbsp honey for the cupcake and 4 tbsp honey for the frosting. If you do that, these cupcakes will have 16 grams of sugar and 180 calories per serving.
- Make sure to spray your cupcake liners with cooking spray so the cupcake doesn't stick to the liner after baking!
- Spoon and level your flour and cocoa powder into your measuring cup vs. using your measuring cup to scoop out the flour. You'll get a more accurate measurement that way and a lighter/fluffier cupcake!
- Make sure your ingredients are at room temperature for easy mixing and for a better tasting cupcake.
- Don't overmix! Mix the batter together just until the wet and dry ingredients are combined. Overmixing results in a tough cupcake!
Serving: 1cupcake | Calories: 146kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 27mg | Sodium: 80mg | Potassium: 340mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 8g