High Protein Veggie Burger Recipe
This high protein veggie burger recipe with black beans and vegetables is delicious! They are hearty, healthy and the perfect comfort food. Quick, easy and ready in 30 minutes, they are perfect for a busy weeknight dinner!
Servings: 2 burgers
- crisp leaves of lettuce or baby spinach
- sliced tomato
- sliced red onions
- 2 slices pepper jack or cheddar cheese optional
- ketchup or BBQ sauce
Combine all ingredients (black beans through chili powder or cayenne if you’re using it) in a food processor and mix until mostly pureed – with a few chunks of black beans left.
Once the bean mixture is at a desired consistency, form into 2 patties.
Spray a large skillet with olive oil cooking spray, and cook on medium heat for 5-10 min on each side until lightly browned.
Serve on toasted whole wheat buns, with your favorite toppings like lettuce, tomato, and pepper jack cheese.
Adapted from FannetasticFood.com
- Make sure you use canned pumpkin puree with no added sugars or flavoring. Do not use pumpkin pie filling.
- When you form the patties, the mixture should not stick to your hands too much. If it does, you need more dry ingredients.
- For a firmer burger, refrigerate the whole burger mix in a bowl for 30 minutes or so, and then make the patties when you’re ready to cook them. They will be firmer and hold together better while cooking.
- While cooking the patties, if you try to move them too early, they will stick and break apart. When a burger is ready to be moved, it will release easily from the pan or grill.
- To store, I recommend storing the pumpkin patties in an airtight container in the fridge, and storing the buns and toppings separately. They will keep for up to 4 days.
- If you're cooking for a crowd, you can make a big batch of these at once by placing the black bean pumpkin burgers on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil and baking them in the oven at 325 degrees F for 15 minutes.
Serving: 1burger | Calories: 508kcal | Carbohydrates: 77g | Protein: 29g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 19mg | Sodium: 328mg | Potassium: 961mg | Fiber: 22g | Sugar: 4g