Gluten-Free Chocolate Oatmeal
This gluten-free chocolate oatmeal recipe is a healthy hot breakfast that tastes just like a fudge brownie! Healthy, easy, and ready in just 15 minutes, this is how to start the day right!
Servings: 1 serving
Cook the oats with 1.5 cups of water and the pinch of salt until the oats are fluffy and all the water has disappeared (I do this by cooking it for 2 minutes in the microwave, stirring, and cooking it for 2 more minutes, and then letting it sit for another 5 minutes.)
Add the cocoa powder and cinnamon to the cooked oats while they are still hot.
Stir until everything is fully combined, and your oats have a deep chocolatey color.
Add the walnuts, and the milk (you can add as much milk as you like – I use about 1/2 a cup to give the oats a nice creamy consistency)
Add the honey and stir to combine.
Stir in the flaxseeds, and heat again for 1-2 minutes until the oatmeal is the temperature you like!
Top Tips To Make This Gluten-Free Chocolate Oatmeal
Note: Nutritional info includes 1/2 tsp honey. Contains only 3g added sugar per serving
- Use gluten-free certified oats for this oatmeal recipe. Avoid instant oatmeal, since it's higher glycemic and most instant oatmeals in packets have added sugars. You can use steel cut oats, but if you do I recommend cooking them on the stovetop or the Instant Pot because they turn out much better that way!
- Make sure to store the remaining unprepared oats in an airtight container in a cool, dark spot in your pantry for up to 12 months.
- You can cook in the microwave, or if making a bigger batch you can use the stovetop to cook and keep warm.
- Be mindful of your water to oats ratio, too much will make the oats too mushy.
- To make this breakfast vegan, simply swap the milk for a plant based non-dairy milk and omit the honey (or use maple syrup)
- Optional toppings include: Nuts (Peanuts, Almonds, Cashews, etc.), Peanut Butter (or any nut butter you like), Dark chocolate chips, Sea Salt, Banana Slices, Fresh Blueberries or Strawberries, A low-sugar Granola like this one, Seeds (hemp seeds, chia seeds, pumpkin or sunflower seeds)
Calories: 293.5kcal | Protein: 12.1g | Fat: 11.6g | Saturated Fat: 1.6g | Cholesterol: 6mg | Sodium: 209mg | Potassium: 242mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 10g