Vegan Bruschetta with White Beans
This Vegan Bruschetta is a twist on a classic Italian dish. It has a mixture of sweet tomato, crunchy zucchini, and creamy white beans that sit on top of a whole wheat baguette, topped with fresh herbs for a finishing touch. This simple recipe is great as an appetizer, light lunch, or side dish!
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1 red onion diced
- 3-5 small zucchini chopped
- 1 small eggplant diced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 15 oz cannellini beans, rinsed and drained 1 can
- 15 oz stewed diced or crushed tomatoes with Italian spices 1 can
- 2 tsp dried Italian Seasoning
- 16 slices Fresh whole wheat or whole grain bread
- Salt & crushed red pepper to taste
- fresh basil or herbs of choice
Cut all of your veggies, and heat a large pan over medium heat
Saute the red onion, red pepper, zucchini, eggplant and garlic in 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil, until the veggies are cooked through.
Add the rest of the topping ingredients. Add the white beans, Roma tomatoes, Italian spices, salt and pepper to taste. Stir until combined and heated through. If you are using vegan cheese, stir it in right when the tomato mixture is almost done cooking, and let it warm for 1-2 minutes until it melts.
Warm Your Bread: Chop the baguette into thick slices. Toast the bread on a grill pan or in the toaster oven until slightly crispy and golden brown.
Assemble your bruschetta. Top each of the baguette slices with the white bean mixture, some fresh ripe tomatoes, chopped fresh basil, a drizzle of balsamic vinegar, and a sprinkle of sea salt.
Top Tips for Making Vegan Bruschetta
- This is a great recipe to use up any fresh veggies you have!
- If you don't have white beans use any other canned beans as a substitute.
- Use a fresh whole wheat baguette.
- You can use fresh or canned tomatoes depending on what you have on hand.
- To make this a true caprese bruschetta use mozzarella and basil. If you don't have that on hand, use another type of cheese such as parmesan and any fresh herbs you like.
- If making in advance store the topping in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Assemble and toast the bruschetta fresh when you're ready to serve.
- To make this dish vegan omit the cheese!
Serving: 2bruschetta pieces | Calories: 254kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 440mg | Potassium: 812mg | Fiber: 14g | Sugar: 9g