Caprese Bruschetta with White Beans
This Caprese Bruschetta has a twist with a mixture of tomatoes, zucchini, and white beans that sit on top of a whole wheat baguette, topped with fresh herbs for a finishing touch.
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1 red onion diced
- 3-5 small zucchini chopped
- 1 small eggplant diced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 15 oz cannellini beans, rinsed and drained 1 can
- 15 oz stewed diced or crushed tomatoes with Italian spices 1 can
- 2 tsp dried Italian Seasoning
- Fresh whole wheat or whole grain bread
- 1/4 cup fresh parmesan or mozzarella cheese You can also use an Italian cheese blend
- Salt & crushed red pepper to taste
- fresh basil or herbs of choice
Cut all of your veggies, and heat a large pan over medium heat
Saute the red onion, red pepper, zucchini, eggplant and garlic in 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil, until the veggies are cooked through.
Add the cannellini beans, tomatoes, italian seasoning, salt and crushed red pepper to taste. Stir until combined and heated through.
Once the mixture is almost done cooking, add 1/4 cup cheese at the very end and allow it to melt slowly on top, stirring to combine
Assemble your bruschetta. Top each slice with the caprese mixture, some fresh sliced or diced tomatoes, and chopped fresh herbs (basil, microgreens, parsley would all work well)
Top Tips for Making Caprese Bruschetta
- This is a great recipe to use up any fresh veggies you have!
- If you don't have white beans use any other canned beans as a substitute.
- Use a fresh whole wheat baguette.
- You can use fresh or canned tomatoes depending on what you have on hand.
- To make this a true caprese bruschetta use mozzarella and basil. If you don't have that on hand, use another type of cheese such as parmesan and any fresh herbs you like.
- If making in advance store the topping in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Assemble and toast the bruschetta fresh when you're ready to serve.
- To make this dish vegan omit the cheese!
Calories: 156kcal | Carbohydrates: 24.4g | Protein: 10.9g | Fat: 3.7g | Sodium: 340.8mg | Fiber: 5.9g | Sugar: 4.8g