Thai Yellow Curry with Veggies, Cashews and Tofu
My mission: to make over Thai Yellow Curry in our kitchen – making it healthier but still “husband approved” and restaurant quality!
Servings: 4 servings
- 2-3 cups light coconut milk about 20 oz
- 3-4 tablespoons curry powder I like the one from Trader Joe’s
- 1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt or more to taste
- 1 large red onion chopped
- 3-5 medium garlic cloves chopped (adjust the amount of garlic based on how spicy you like it)
- 8 ounces firm tofu cut into small cubes
- 2 heads broccoli
- 1 pound asparagus chopped
- 1 yellow pepper thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped cashews toasted
- a handful of cilantro loosely chopped (optional – I like cilantro but the husband doesn’t, so I omitted this)
- 1/8-1/4 tsp cayenne pepper if you like things spicy
- ground cumin cardamom and pepper (to taste – I used about 1 tsp cumin, a sprinkling of cardamom, and a pinch of pepper)
- Brown rice for serving 1 cup cooked, 1/4 cup per serving
Cut all your veggies. Saute the onion and 2 cloves chopped garlic in 1/2 tsp olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add 2 Tbsp curry powder and salt and stir until combined.
Add the coconut milk to the onion mixture, bring to simmer and work out any clumps. Stir in the tofu and cook for a few minutes until the tofu has absorbed most of the flavors. Simmer the liquid on low heat until it has cooked down slightly.
Meanwhile, in a large pan, saute the broccoli, asparagus, and pepper (or whatever veggies you use) with 2 cloves chopped garlic over medium heat. Add salt, cayenne, and remaining curry power/cumin and other spices to taste. Cook until veggies are crisp.
Pour tofu/coconut milk mixture over veggies (in the pan) and stir to combine.
Add additional spices as needed. Cook through for a few minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in cashews. Serve with brown rice.
Calories: 383kcal | Carbohydrates: 40.7g | Protein: 18.6g | Fat: 18.7g | Sodium: 410.6mg | Fiber: 12.7g | Sugar: 5.8g