Indian Fried Rice, or “Khichdi”
This Indian Fried Rice is wholesome, delicious, and packed with lentils and fresh veggies. It's super easy to make, and is naturally gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan. Filled with lots of healthy nutrients, spiced to perfection, it's the perfect family-friendly one-pot weeknight meal!
Servings: 2 servings
- 4 Tbsp Basmati rice
- 3 Tbsp Moong dal lentils
- 1 Tbsp quinoa
- 1 zucchini diced
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 lb asparagus diced
- 1½ cups water
- 3 heaping tsp Khichdi masala or more to taste
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ red onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp grated ginger
- Cilantro chopped – garnish
- Plain, Unsweetened Greek Yogurt Optional, for serving
Wash the mixture of rice, moong dal (lentils) and quinoa until all the sediment is gone and the water runs clear
Saute the onion, garlic, and ginger in 1 tbsp olive oil. Chop all of your veggies.
Combine all the ingredients (grains + lentils + vegetables + onion mixture) in a large pot, add the masala.
Bring everything to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer. Let it cook for 20-30 minutes until all the water has been absorbed
Garnish with cilantro, serve with yogurt if you like!
Top Tips For Making Indian Fried Rice
- Don’t forget to wash the lentils and the quinoa before you begin. This is an important step that shouldn’t be skipped.
- If you are making this recipe for khichdi for a baby, then don't use any of the hot spices or salt. I like mixing the lentils, rice and veggies together with just a pinch of turmeric, cumin and coriander for little ones. See my recipe for "baby khichdi" here!
- For picky eaters, cut up your veggies super small. They will "melt" into the lentils and rice and your kids won't be able to pick them out!
- For even more flavor, try dry roasting your lentils before combining them with the rest of the ingredients.
- If you want to make your own Khichdi Masala from scratch – here are the proportions/ingredients: 1 Tbsp turmeric, 1 Tbsp ground cumin, 1 Tbsp ground fennel, 1 Tbsp mustard seed, 1 Tbsp ground coriander, 1 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper. Stir to mix all of the spices evenly. Store at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 4 months.
Calories: 243kcal | Carbohydrates: 34.5g | Protein: 10.3g | Fat: 8.9g | Sodium: 35.8mg | Fiber: 6.9g | Sugar: 1.7g