Matar Paneer (made with Tofu Paneer!)
This healthy version of matar paneer (made with tofu paneer!) is so rich and creamy it pretty much melts in your mouth when you take a bite of it. Made with only five ingredients, you can enjoy gourmet, restaurant-quality Indian food at home in just 20 minutes!
Servings: 4 servings
- 3 tsp olive oil divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red onion
- 1/3 cup frozen peas
- 1 16oz block extra firm tofu pressed, and cut into cubes. Use as much of the block as you like (for a creamier curry, use 1/2 the block)
- 1 bottle of Maya Kaimal Madras Curry Sauce
- 1 dash salt more to taste if needed
Press Tofu using either a tofu press or a heavy pan for at least 15 minutes, to remove as much water as possible.
Cut the tofu into cubes. Pan fry the tofu cubes in a large pan, heated over medium low heat, with 2 tsp olive oil.
Saute the garlic and onions with 1 tsp olive oil over medium high heat, until the onions have cooked down and are translucent.
Add the tofu, the curry sauce and the peas, stir to combine. Let it all simmer together for about 10-15 minutes, until the Matar Tofu is cooked through and ready to eat. Season with salt as needed before serving.
Top Tips For Making Tofu Paneer
- Try to cut the tofu in evenly diced pieces, so it cooks evenly.
- Pressing the tofu and then pan frying it so it's brown and crispy on the outside is critical to making tofu paneer that actually tastes like paneer!
- Feel free to add in as much tofu as you like. I usually stick with adding about half a block, but you can always add more or less depending on how many people you’re feeding. My version of this recipe serves four people.
- Be sure to allow the ingredients to simmer together, so that way the spices and everything gets a chance to marry and create a beautiful and vibrant dish.
- If you want to make this recipe soy-free, you can substitute chickpeas, veggies, or seitan for the tofu.
- For more indulgence, add 1/4 cup full-fat coconut milk to this recipe.
Calories: 229.1kcal | Carbohydrates: 10.9g | Protein: 14.1g | Fat: 14.9g | Saturated Fat: 3.4g | Sodium: 411.2mg | Potassium: 17.7mg | Fiber: 2.6g | Sugar: 2.9g