Spicy, Creamy Mexican Corn Soup
This Mexican Corn Soup is packed full of fresh ingredients and a blend of delicious spices. Dairy-free, low in calories, and ready in 30 minutes, it's a satisfying soup the whole family will love!
Servings: 4 servings
Cut the onion, potato, and trim the corn kernels off the 5 ears of corn.
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, saute for 5 minutes until the onion is translucent. Add the potato and broth, bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are very soft – about 10 minutes. Then add the fresh corn and cook through for a couple minutes more.
Add a bit more vegetable broth if your soup mixture looks too thick. Add all of your spices (cumin, chili powder, cayenne, black pepper). Then puree with an immersion/hand blender, or with a regular blender/food processor.
Top with a variety of toppings: cilantro, tomatoes, fresh corn, crushed corn chips, avocado, or anything else you can think of! Enjoy!
Top Tips for Making Mexican Corn Soup
- If you can't get fresh corn, you can use frozen.
- Use a low sodium vegetable stock.
- If you are using a stand blender, it's best to blend the soup in batches.
- If using fresh corn, steam and prepare just before making the soup.
- Dial back the cayenne pepper and chili powder if you want a milder flavor.
- Reserve a few ladles before adding spices to make a kid friendly spice free version.
- Add some long grain brown rice, if you want it extra hearty. You can even puree it with the brown rice cooked in the soup for a thicker, creamier texture.
- For additional protein, add 1 15oz can cannelini beans into the soup while it's cooking (at the same time you add in the corn). And then follow the rest of the directions through the puree stage!
- Get creative with toppings such as cilantro, avocado and corn chips.
- Serve with some crusty bread or corn bread and a light crunchy salad.
- Soups freeze well, make a big batch and freeze the rest for easy meals!
Calories: 128.7kcal | Carbohydrates: 26.8g | Protein: 4.1g | Fat: 2.3g | Sodium: 280.9mg | Fiber: 4.2g | Sugar: 6.2g