Vegetarian Burrito Bowl
This healthy and easy Vegetarian Burrito Bowl with black beans is packed with goodness and awesome flavors! Inspired by Chipotle's veggie bowl, it’s loaded with jalapeno peppers, black beans, onions, peppers, warm spices, hearty brown rice, sweet corn, and a secret ingredient that makes it extra filling and satisfying!
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 15 oz low sodium whole black beans 1 can
- ½ jalapeño pepper chopped
- 1 red onion diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper diced
- 1½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- ½ tsp Salt more to taste
- 1 cup cooked brown rice use ¼ cup cooked per bowl
- ½ cup fresh corn use about 2 Tbsp per bowl
- ½ cup low fat cottage cheese use 2 Tbsp per bowl
- Chopped cilantro to taste
- Diced tomato
- 12-16 Corn chips use 3-4 chips per bowl
Saute garlic, jalapeno, onion, and bell pepper in 1 tsp olive oil until soft.
Add cumin, chili powder and let the spices toast for a minute. Then add the can of black beans + liquid (don’t rinse and drain the black beans before) into the pan.
Bring the mixture to a boil, let it simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
Once the bean mixture is done, start assembling your bowl! Put ¼ cup cooked brown rice in a bowl, top with ¼ of the black bean mixture. Then add your toppings: 2 Tbsp cottage cheese, 2 Tbsp corn, diced tomato, cilantro, salsa, and 3-4 corn chips crumbled on top.
Tips For Making The Perfect Vegetarian Burrito Bowl
- Make sure the black bean & corn mixture has cooled slightly before adding the toppings, so that the cottage cheese doesn't get too warm before serving.
- Feel free to change up the toppings and ingredients with whatever you have on hand!
- Don't rinse & drain your black beans - be sure to use the canning liquid from the black beans - it gives the mixture a depth of flavor and richness you can't get otherwise!
- Store the black bean and rice mixture in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. Store the toppings separately, also in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
Calories: 291kcal | Carbohydrates: 51g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 691mg | Potassium: 728mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 5g