Vegetarian Pesto Pasta Recipe
This Vegetarian Pesto Pasta made with spinach, herbs and whole wheat linguine is a quick and easy dinner recipe that comes together in 30 minutes. Every bite is bursting with flavor!
Servings: 4 servings
- 6 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 cup slivered blanched almonds
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 large garlic cloves chopped
- 2 tablespoons organic vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup Parmesan or Italian Shredded cheese choose a rennet free cheese
- 8 ounces uncooked whole wheat linguine
- Diced tomatoes for topping
Place spinach in a microwave-safe bowl; cover bowl with plastic wrap. Microwave at HIGH 2 minutes or until spinach wilts. Remove plastic wrap; cool slightly.
Place spinach, almonds, and next 5 ingredients (through garlic) in a food processor. Process until chopped.
Add broth, juice, and salt; pulse 5 times. With processor on, slowly pour oil through food chute; process until well blended. Scrape into a bowl; stir in half of cheese. Cover with plastic wrap.
Cook pasta according to package directions.
As soon as the pasta is done, toss pasta with 1/2 cup pesto. Arrange about 1 1/2 cups pasta mixture on each of ; top each serving with 2 tablespoons remaining pesto, diced tomatoes, and 1 1/2 teaspoons remaining cheese.
Top tips For Making Vegetarian Pesto Pasta
Adapted from CookingLight
- Cook the pasta al dente and don't rinse it after you drain it.
- If you have any left over pesto, keep in in a sealable glass jar and top it up with olive oil to keep it fresh.
- Pesto freezes really well! Just portion it in ice cubes!
- If you don't have almonds, you can use walnuts or pine nuts instead
- Make sure to choose a vegetable-rennet based cheese to keep this vegetarian friendly
- Feel free to toss this pasta with any extra veggies you have on hand - zucchini, carrots, squashes, bell peppers and broccoli would all work well.
- Swap the linguine for a gluten-free chickpea based pasta (to make this recipe gluten-free), or any other whole wheat pasta of your choice. To add in even more veggies and reduce the carbs, you can use zucchini noodles instead of pasta itself!
- For some extra protein, feel free to throw in some cannelini beans or chickpeas as you toss the pasta! Be sure to adjust the seasoning/amount of sauce if you do!
Calories: 309kcal | Carbohydrates: 44.7g | Protein: 11.6g | Fat: 9.3g | Saturated Fat: 1.6g | Cholesterol: 3.6mg | Sodium: 282.6mg | Potassium: 256.8mg | Fiber: 7.2g | Sugar: 3.1g