Gluten Free Lasagna with Polenta and Vegetables
Polenta replaces traditional lasagna noodles in this hearty, gluten-free, satisfying casserole! Packed with fresh vegetables, Italian spices and cheese, it's a vegetarian friendly dish that the whole family will love.
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion
- 3 yellow/orange or red peppers diced
- 7 cloves garlic minced
- 4 zucchini finely diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 tbsp dried Italian seasoning or more to taste
- Pinch crushed red pepper
- 8-10 ounces baby spinach chopped
- 1 jar of spaghetti sauce make sure to get one that's all-natural, with no sugar added - I like Muir Glen Organic Garden Vegetable sauce
- 16 ounces prepared organic polenta sliced lengthwise into ~24 thin slices
- 1 1/2 cups shredded parmesan cheese divided
Preheat oven to 450 degree F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, red pepper, zucchini, garlic, salt and pepper, Italian seasoning and crushed red pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender and just beginning to brown, 4 to 6 minutes.
Add spinach; cook until wilted, stirring once, about 3 minutes.
Stir marinara sauce into the vegetables and heat through, 1 to 2 minutes.
Slice polenta, and place polenta slices in a single layer in the prepared baking dish, trimming to fit if necessary.
Sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese, top with the zucchini/spinach mixture and sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese. Then repeat: one more layer of polenta, one layer of veggies, and the remaining cheese on top.
Bake until bubbling and the cheese has just melted, 12 to 15 minutes. Let stand for about 5 minutes before serving.
Top Tips For This Gluten Free Lasagna
Modified from: EatingWell
- Use a pasta sauce that is all natural with no added sugar.
- You can use any kind of shredded cheese you like in this recipe. I opted for sharper parmesan, but mozzarella or goat cheese would taste fabulous as well!
- This is a great "clean out your fridge" recipe. If you don't have the veggies I used, you can use just about any vegetable in this recipe and it will work great!
- If you need to make this ahead of time, assemble everything the day before and refrigerate -- unbaked and covered -- for up to 24 hours.
- Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting and serving.
Calories: 215kcal | Carbohydrates: 26.3g | Protein: 10.4g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 880mg | Potassium: 547mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 5g