Vegetarian Stew Recipe with Beans and Rice
This Vegetarian Stew recipe with beans and rice is healthy and hearty. It's a budget-friendly, family-friendly, plant-based meal that the whole family will enjoy!
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 cup cooked brown rice (or any whole grain like quinoa, millet, etc.)
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow, red, or orange bell pepper diced
- 1 cup red onion diced
- 2 roma tomatoes diced
- 15 oz black beans, rinsed and drained 1 can
- 15 oz red kidney beans, rinsed and drained 1 can
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 8 oz tomato sauce 1 can
- 1 cup prepared salsa
- 1.5 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper more or less to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon taco seasoning more to taste
- 6 oz baby spinach (optional)
Cook rice according to package directions, keep warm, set aside
Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Saute the bell pepper and red onion in the olive oil, until the onion is cooked (about 5 min); add tomatoes at the end and cook for 1 min.
Add black beans, red kidney beans, tomato sauce, salsa, corn; stir to combine thoroughly. (If using baby spinach, add it here). Add remaining ingredients (all spices); stir to combine; simmer for 10 minutes (or as long as you like - the longer it simmers, the longer the flavors have to blend together).
Serve with brown rice and maybe some chips on the side.
Top Tips For Making this Vegetarian Stew Recipe
Adapted from FoodNetwork
- Use prepared salsa.
- The longer you simmer the stew, the more flavorful it becomes.
- Use prepared brown rice to save time.
- If you don't have brown rice, you can use any whole grain like: quinoa, millet, farro, barley, or wild rice
- For some additional fiber, antioxidants and veggies, add 6oz chopped baby spinach to this dish (you can add it at the same step you add the beans.
- If you're making this for kids, reduce or omit the cayenne and choose a mild salsa.
- Feel free to add toppings like: diced avocado or guacamole, Mexican shredded cheese, diced cilantro, crushed tortilla chips, diced tomatoes.
Calories: 342.5kcal | Carbohydrates: 65.4g | Protein: 17.2g | Fat: 3.4g | Saturated Fat: 0.6g | Sodium: 1285mg | Potassium: 1194mg | Fiber: 18.2g | Sugar: 9.9g