Healthy Margherita Flatbread
This easy and healthy Margherita Flatbread is a delicious take on the classic pizza! Topped with fresh tomatoes and basil and drizzled with balsamic vinegar, it's a family friendly meal!
Servings: 8 servings
- Fresh whole wheat pizza dough Trader Joe's is my favorite - but I'm sure you can find it at any health food store
- Cooking spray
- 1 Tsp olive oil
- 5-6 garlic cloves minced
- 4-5 Roma tomatoes thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1-5 Tbsp balsamic vinegar add to taste - if you are a huge balsamic fan, put more, if not - put less : )
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
Spread the whole wheat dough on a pizza pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 450 degrees for 5 minutes (until the crust starts to puff up).
Brush crust with 1 tsp olive oil, sprinkle minced garlic evenly over the crust.
Top with sliced tomatoes until entire crust is covered, leaving a half inch border.
Sprinkle evenly with cheese. Bake at 450 degrees for 10-12 minutes (until cheese / crust starts to become golden)
Remove from oven, sprinkle pizza evenly with sliced basil. Drizzle balsamic vinegar over pizza. Cut and serve!
Sprinkled with basil
Top Tips For Making This Recipe
- Use fresh whole wheat pizza dough for best results. To make it low carb, try using a cauliflower pizza crust!
- Don't use cold dough. Remove dough from the refrigerator and allow it to come to room temperature for 30 minutes before rolling it out.
- Use fresh Roma Tomatoes. Slice thin, pat dry, and sprinkle with a little salt.
- Make sure to preheat your oven!
- Remove from the oven just as the cheese begins to get golden brown.
- Properly stored, leftover flatbread will last for 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator.
Serving: 1slice | Calories: 191.8kcal | Carbohydrates: 28.7g | Protein: 8.2g | Fat: 4.8g | Saturated Fat: 1.9g | Cholesterol: 7.5mg | Sodium: 342mg | Potassium: 182.9mg | Fiber: 3.9g