Easy, Healthy Vegetarian Flatbread
Easy, quick, healthy and tasty - this vegetarian flatbread pizza recipe is great as a main meal for one, or as an appetizer for guests.
- 1 Sprouted Wheat Tortilla - Burrito Size
- 1 roma tomato diced
- 1/4 cup red onion diced
- 1/3 cup yellow orange or red bell pepper diced
- 2-3 tbsp Pizza sauce Make sure to buy a pizza sauce with no added sugar (or very little added sugar!)
- 1/4 cup Shredded Parmesan cheese Or any Italian cheese you like!
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- salt and crushed red pepper to taste
Bake the tortilla in the oven or toaster oven until slightly crispy. If you're using a toaster oven, set it on medium darkness and toast the tortilla. If you're using the oven, bake at 350 degrees for 5 minutes (or until crispy and golden brown)
While your tortilla is baking, heat the olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic, spinach and salt to taste, and saute until the spinach is wilted. Remove from heat and set aside.
Take the tortilla out of the oven, and top with sauce, veggies & cheese.
Put the tortilla back in the oven and bake at 350 degrees for 5 minutes until the tortilla is crispy and the cheese is melted. If using the toaster oven, put it back in on medium-darkness and toast.
Top tips to make Easy, Healthy, Vegetarian Flatbread
- Use a sauce that is low in added sugar.
- Make sure to get your tortilla really crispy before topping it, so that it doesn't become soggy under the weight of the sauce and veggies.
- If you want to change things up from your usual pizza sauce, try one of these creative pizza sauces: Homemade Spicy Red Wine Tomato Sauce, Vegan Vodka Cream Sauce, Vegan Alfredo Sauce, Spicy Alfredo Sauce, Vegan Bolognese Sauce and Pesto Sauce
- Mix it up with whatever veggies or cheese you have on hand.
- Swap out the regular cheese with vegan cheese to make it vegan, and/or swap out the sprouted wheat tortilla with a gluten-free tortilla to make it gluten free.
- Let pizzas cool slightly (for 5 minutes) then slice.
- Serve with a soup or side salad.
- If you're making this recipe for a crowd, just double or triple the ingredients as needed!
Calories: 329kcal | Carbohydrates: 37.2g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 14.2g | Saturated Fat: 4.6g | Cholesterol: 14.4mg | Sodium: 782.7mg | Potassium: 560.8mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 1.7g | Vitamin A: 2860IU | Vitamin C: 74.9mg | Calcium: 407mg | Iron: 3.6mg