Cinnamon and Spice Oatmeal with Berries and Pumpkin
With hints of fall flavors like nutmeg, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice, this bowl of oatmeal tastes just like cinnamon spice!
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup lowfat milk to make vegan, use unsweetened almond or soy milk
- 1/2 cup pureed pumpkin (make sure there is no sugar added)
- 1/4 tsp honey
- 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice (more to taste)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 tbsp crushed walnuts
- 1/4 of a banana, mashed (optional)
Make the rolled oats according to the package: you can either make them in the microwave or on the stove. For the microwave, I combined the water, salt and oats and microwaved on high for 2 minutes (more if the oats need to get fluffier before serving)
Add your blueberries, pumpkin, spices, banana, and walnuts. Stir to combine.
Add the milk and stir to combine. For thinner oats, add more milk!
Drizzle the honey on top. I like to actually eat mine without the honey stirred in, to get more of that delicious honey flavor in each bite.
Top tips for making Cinnamon and Spice Oatmeal
- If cooking on the stovetop, use a pot that's one size up from what you'd typically use. Oats cook better in a thin layer on the stovetop, so the more room they have the better (within reason - you don't want to use a giant stockpot for these oats!)
- Don't stir too much (if making on the stove!) - vigorous stirring of the oats will break them down and will turn them into a gummy texture.
- If you need to reheat these oats (after storing it in the fridge), just add a couple tsp more milk or water (more if needed) and warm in the microwave on low heat until the oatmeal is warm and creamy.
- Rolled oats work great in this recipe, but you can use steel cut oats for a more toothsome bite!
- To make this recipe vegan, use an unsweetened, plant-based milk.
- Make sure you choose plain pumpkin puree with no added sugar!
Calories: 300kcal | Carbohydrates: 46.6g | Protein: 11.4g | Fat: 9.2g | Saturated Fat: 1.2g | Cholesterol: 6mg | Sodium: 346.4mg | Potassium: 530.7mg | Fiber: 6.8g | Sugar: 15.1g