Kale, Garlic and Caramelized Onion Paninis
I love sneaking veggies into traditionally “comfort food” type dishes, and this panini is no exception. The fontina cheese oozes out of the sandwich, the bread is warm and crispy, and the sautéed kale and caramelized onions add some much needed lightness to the dish.
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- Extra virgin olive oil spray
- 8 oz box baby kale or 8oz of whole kale, chopped thinly
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 clove roasted garlic per sandwich for directions on how to roast garlic, click here
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 red onion sliced thinly
- Fontina cheese: 1 oz per sandwich
- Good whole grain, panini bread (I used the pear and kale levain from Le Marais)
Sauté the kale with the garlic, crushed red pepper, olive oil, and a dash of salt until it's wilted.
In 1 tsp olive oil, sauté the onions until they are caramelized and golden brown.
Assemble your sandwiches! Spread 1 clove of roasted garlic on one side of the sandwich. Top with 1 oz fontina cheese per sandwich, 1/4 of the caramelized onion mixture, 1/4 of the kale, and a dash of salt/pepper to taste.
Grill in a panini press or a skillet until the cheese is melted and the bread is crispy on the outside/soft on the inside.
Serving: 1panini | Calories: 366kcal | Carbohydrates: 43.7g | Protein: 18.4g | Fat: 13.3g | Sodium: 540.1mg | Fiber: 7.2g | Sugar: 9.2g