Black Bean and Pumpkin Veggie Burgers
I'm no stranger to making veggie burgers, but when I stumbled on one that included pumpkin in the mix, I knew I had to replicate it.
Servings: 2 patties
- 1 cup black beans rinsed and drained – I basically just used 1 15oz can of black beans – once you drain out the liquid/etc. it ends up being just a little over 1 cup
- 1/3 cup canned pumpkin – make sure you get just pure canned pumpkin (the only ingredient should be pumpkin!) make sure there are no sugars, etc. added and definitely don’t get “pumpkin pie filling” or anything to that effect
- 1 Tbsp whole wheat pastry flour I just used regular whole wheat flour and it turned out fine
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin I might have added a bit more!
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- If you like your burgers with a bit of a kick add a small pinch of cayenne pepper too
- olive oil cooking spray
- Veggie burger fixings: ketchup sliced red onions, sliced roma tomatoes, pepper jack cheese, whole wheat bun, spinach leaves (optional)
Combine all ingredients (black beans through chili powder or cayenne if you’re using it) in a food processor and mix until mostly pureed – with a few chunks of black beans left. Note – you can also mash all the ingredients in a bowl, I used the food processor because it was faster and easier (for me).
Once the bean mixture is at a desired consistency, form into 2 patties. Spray a large skillet with olive oil cooking spray, and cook on medium heat for 5-10 min on each side until lightly browned.