Whole Wheat Pasta Recipe
This easy, tasty, healthy Whole Wheat Pasta Recipe is easy to make when you're in a hurry! Full of flavor and loaded with veggies, this family friendly supper will be a sure fire hit!
Servings: 4 servings
- 8 oz whole wheat penne pasta
- 1 16oz bag organic frozen spinach
- 1 red onion diced
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 14 oz can fire roasted tomatoes with green chilies the green chilies add a wonderful spicy kick to the pasta – so try to use that instead of just plain fire roasted tomatoes!
- 1 28oz jar pasta sauce
- Dried Italian seasoning to taste
- Grated fresh parmesan cheese
- Salt & pepper (or crushed red pepper) to taste
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Cook the pasta according to package directions. While the pasta is cooking, sauté the onions, garlic and frozen spinach with 1 tbsp olive oil in a large saucepan.
Once the pasta is cooked, drain and set aside. Once the spinach mixture is heated through, add the fire roasted tomatoes.
Stir in salt, pepper, italian seasoning, crushed red pepper (all to taste) into the spinach/tomato mixture. Heat up your pasta sauce in a separate saucepan.
Stir in salt, pepper, oregano into the spinach/tomato mixture – to taste. Heat up your pasta sauce and get ready to assemble/serve your dish! To assemble: Start with a layer of rotini pasta, top with veggie mixture, top with sauce, and finish off with 2 Tbsp grated fresh Parmesan cheese.
Top Tips For Making This Gourmet, Healthy 20 Minute Pasta Meal
- Cook the pasta al dente (with bite).
- Use a whole grain pasta, or another healthy variety (like lentil, chickpea, spelt or quinoa) as listed above.
- To make sure the pasta doesn't stick together, use at least 4 quarts of water for every pound of noodles, and stir your pasta constantly for the first few minutes of cooking.
- Use a pre-made pasta sauce low in sodium and sugar.
- Add in whatever veggies you have in your fridge!
- Use canned tomatoes with chilies for an extra kick of flavor!
- Taste as you cook, don't rely too heavily on the cooking time on the package.
- Drain your pasta as soon as it's done. Don't let it sit in the water off the heat.
- Add your pasta to your sauce, not your sauce to your pasta.
- I used frozen spinach as that's what I had, but you can use fresh.
- Don't go overboard with your grated cheese topping!
Calories: 380kcal | Carbohydrates: 62g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 2.4g | Cholesterol: 7.9mg | Sodium: 970mg | Potassium: 746mg | Fiber: 12.6g | Sugar: 6g