Acorn Squash Bisque
Creamy Acorn Squash Bisque gets a healthy makeover with nonfat Greek yogurt. Paired with pomegranate and cranberries this soup is full of fall flavors.
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 whole acorn squash
- 1 white, yellow or red onion chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp celery chopped
- 4 cups veggie stock more if you want a thinner soup
- 1/2 cup Dannon Oikos plain Greek nonfat yogurt
- 2 tbsp cranberry canned jelly
- 3 leaves cilantro
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Pomegranate seeds for garnish
- Lime for garnish
In a stockpot, cook the onion, bay leaf, garlic and celery in some olive oil until garlic releases aroma.
Add the chopped acorn squash and then the veggie stock and simmer. When the acorn squash is cooked, swirl in Dannon Oikos plain Greek nonfat yogurt and remove from the heat. Add the paprika to the soup.
When the squash is cooked thoroughly, purée the soup and pass through a sieve so it is smooth. Stir in the cranberry jelly.
Garnish with the cilantro, pomegranate seeds, a squirt of lime and add a dollop of Dannon Oikos plain Greek nonfat yogurt on top.
Top Tips for Making Acorn Squash Bisque
- Chop and peel the skin from the squash before adding it to the soup. You cannot eat the skin of an acorn squash. It is too tough.
- Pre-cook the squash before adding it to the soup to save stovetop cooking time. Cut the squash in half, brush with oil, and place face down on a sheet pan lined with aluminum foil. Cook for 15-20 minutes at 400 F.
- For an extra creamy soup use a sieve to extract extra pulp.
- If you want to add some extra protein, add 1 15oz can of cannelini beans to the soup at the same time you add the squash -- and then follow the rest of the directions in the recipe.
- Similarly, if you want some more greens in your diet, add 1 6oz box of baby spinach (chopped) to the pot when you add the squash (follow the rest of the directions in the recipe).
Calories: 94.4kcal | Carbohydrates: 17.5g | Protein: 5.7g | Fat: 0.1g | Sodium: 567.6mg | Potassium: 373.9mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5.8g | Iron: 1mg