Spicy Black Bean, Hominy and Kale Stew
Hominy is a new way to add corn to your soups and stews. It pairs nicely with black beans and kale in this hearty recipe.
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 poblano chiles
- 8 ounces tomatillos husks removed and halved (about 4)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1.5 cups chopped onion
- 1 jalapeño seeded and minced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 3 cups organic low sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp salt more to taste
- 1/8 tsp ground red pepper optional
- 30 oz unsalted black beans, rinsed and drained 2 cans
- 8 oz bunch kale, tough stems removed, leaves chopped (about 4 packed cups)
- 15 oz hominy, rinsed and drained 1 can
- 6 tbsp reduced-fat sour cream or 2% Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp white cheddar cheese or mexican shredded cheese blend
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Preheat broiler to high.
Place poblano chiles on a foil-lined baking sheet. Broil 7 minutes on each side or until blackened and charred. Place in a paper bag; fold to close tightly. Let stand 15 minutes. Peel chiles; cut in half lengthwise. Discard seeds and membranes; coarsely chop. Set aside. [Alternatively, you can just dice the poblano chiles and throw them into the pot with the onions & jalapeño if you don't feel like roasting them!]
Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion and jalapeño; sauté 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, place the tomatillos in a food processor, and process until smooth. Set aside.
Add garlic and cumin; sauté 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add tomatillos, broth, and next 4 ingredients (through kale); bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add roasted poblanos and hominy; cook for 2 minutes or until heated through.
Ladle into each of 4 shallow bowls; top evenly with sour cream/Greek yogurt and/or cheese. Sprinkle with cilantro.
Top Tips For Making Vegetarian Black Bean Soup with Kale and Hominy
Adapted from CookingLight.com
- If you have time, or prepare in advance opt for dried hominy.
- Make sure to remove the stems from the kale, and finely chop before adding to the soup.
- Use a preheated broiler, and roast poblano peppers for a richer roasted flavor.
- Make adjustments as needed for your preferred spice level.
- Serve with: low fat sour cream, plain greek yogurt, diced avocado, crushed tortilla chips, diced tomatoes, cilantro and/or shredded cheese
Calories: 266kcal | Carbohydrates: 38.8g | Protein: 14.1g | Fat: 7.2g | Saturated Fat: 2.8g | Cholesterol: 9.3mg | Sodium: 445.9mg | Potassium: 699mg | Fiber: 11.7g | Sugar: 4.6g