Moroccan Chickpea Soup
This healthy Moroccan Chickpea Soup is a perfectly spiced healthy and satisfying complete meal, high in protein and loaded with vegetables.
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large red onion diced
- 8 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper more or less to taste
- 2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ras el hanout
- 1 14.5-ounce can chopped tomatoes
- 3 15-ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed well
- 1 6oz box baby spinach chopped
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- additional salt & black pepper to taste, as needed
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and saute until the onions begin to turn translucent; lower heat if browning starts to occur. Add all of the spices and saute a minute or so.
Add tomatoes, chickpeas, spinach, and sugar. Season with salt and fresh pepper. Stir well.
Add broth. Chickpeas should be just covered with liquid. If level is shy, add some water so the chickpeas are just covered. Bring to a simmer, then lower heat to low and gently simmer for 45 minutes.
Remove soup from heat. Use an immersion/hand blender to blend the soup into a creamy consistency.
Season again, to taste, with salt and pepper. Serve hot – ladle into bowls and eat with Greek Yogurt, Pita Chips, chopped tomatoes, cilantro, or any other toppings you like!
Top Tips for Making Moroccan Chickpea Soup
- Drain and rinse chickpeas.
- If you don't have baby spinach, you can use kale, swiss chard, collard greens or any leafy green you like!
- Use immersion blender if you prefer a smooth soup, or use less broth + mash with a potato masher for a chunkier soup.
- Serve with Greek Yogurt, pita chips, chopped cilantro, diced tomatoes, or some warm whole wheat fresh pita for dipping!
Calories: 260kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 12.5g | Fat: 5.5g | Saturated Fat: 0.7g | Sodium: 634mg | Potassium: 462.8mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 9.9g